looking for advice on compatibility for gobies and shrimps..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proverbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
well, my sand is getting pretty dirty in my 38 gal tank, so i was planning on getting a sand sifter goby. what i had in mind is getting a Pistol shrimp with a twin spot or diamond goby. and then i wanted to add a cleaner, like a neon goby OR a cleaner shrimp.

will any of these not get along with the other?

and do i need to feed these cleaner fish/shrimp seperatley or can they survive off the sand/algae/cleaning other fish?

I will answer from the last quest =)
yes they will get along if u are going to have cleaner shrimp , neon goby and the pair of shirmp and goby.
for all of them u just feed ur fish normaly, neon goby and cleaner shrimp are quite funny when they search for food, when u throw food in the tank, both them rush to the food and grab on something then run back to a safe spot.I won't belive u will have a problem feeding them.both are quite hardy and easy to keep.
for sand shifting goby i will not suggest twin spot since they need a well established tank and with a populated refugium to have success to keep them long terms. I would go for a diamond goby which does amazing job on sand shifting.
As for the pistol shrimp I wouldn't really bother, they do dig holes but usually they stay at one spot when they took that as a home unless u destory it on purpose.
People keep them with goby just amazed by the way they match up, not the way they work with each other to clean sand.
The only thing i am concern with the diamond goby is that it can get quite big, 38g tank might be a bit small for it but that fish is also easy to keep. =)
Hope this help,might have some info incorrect willing to hear other correct me =)
Peace out

I have two different gobies that do a good job at sifting. A dragon and pink spotted goby. I also have a blood shrimp that gets along fine with them.

not sure about the dragon goby, but pink spotted probly not exactly the same kinda goby he is looking for, cuz pink spotted isn't sand shifting goby

Thanks for telling me that so I can go tell mine you`re not supposed to do that.

thank you for that info guys. it really helps me out.

now my plans are to get a small diamond goby, and either a cleaner shrimp or a neon goby. i'm also going to add some blue tangs today.

they will join my 1 mys clown, 1 blue tang, 5 crabs, 7 snails. you guys think my clown will feel lonely if i have 5 blue tangs swimming around?

There isn't a tang out there that's gonna be happy in a 38g tank, let alone more than one. I'd skip the tangs. The maroon clown, a sand sifting goby and a neon goby, really doesn't leave you much room. Maybe another one or two small fish. Or maybe a dwarf angel as your larger centerpiece fish. As hard a choice as it may be, you really need to think about returning the blue tang. As for your questions, I don't see a problem with the gobies and shrimps together.

proverb said:
my sand is getting pretty dirty in my 38 gal tank, so i was planning on getting a sand sifter goby. what i had in mind is getting a Pistol shrimp with a twin spot or diamond goby.
There is most likely some nasty stuff in your sand bed that when stirred into the water column could cause big problems ie. ammonia/nitrite spikes or worse a tank crash. The older the sand bed the more likely this will be a problem. Be cautious and keep a close eye on things if the pistol shrimp really starts digging. Running GAC 24/7 is always a good idea. I agree 100% w/ fluff, a 38gal just is NOT big enough for even one tang of any kind. They need lots of swimming room or they get stressed and become extremely susceptible to disease/death. HTH

wow. that sucks. well, the blue tang is just over an inch big, so it is really small. and it seems to get along with my clown great. the lfs guy never said anything about my tank being too small, which makes me pretty mad. cant i just keep the tangs until they grow out of my tank?

actually, i just found out that my tank is a 40 gallon. it is the JEBO R375. but i dont think the 2 extra gallons should make a difference.

proverbs said:
i dont think the 2 extra gallons should make a difference.

Unfortunately not. Understandably it is small right now but with good tank conditions and food, it will grow fast and really shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 75g tank.

i know i should return them, but i REALLY like them. if i did decide to keep them, how long will i be able to have them for before they get too big?

proverbs said:
i know i should return them, but i REALLY like them. if i did decide to keep them, how long will i be able to have them for before they get too big?

You know ultimately it's your decision and I can't tell you what to do with your tank. But, in the best interest of the fish, which is my goal here, it would be best to put your feelings aside and return the fish. It's really not fair to them to keep them crammed in a tank that is to small for the sake of your own feelings. That said, my biggest salt tank is a 55 and I've never had a blue tang so I don't know how fast they will grow. But, I would guess 6 months tops. Good luck.

proverb, tangs really like to have plenty of room to swim. they swim fast and without proper tank space they can become stressed. like everone else said, it wont take long before he is cramped.

i have a yellow tang in a 55 gallon that i bought used and he is almost 5 inches. not very much room in there for him and i think blue tangs get even bigger. trust me, they grow fast and you dont want to see him cramped and sad. dorian

Back
Top Bottom