Looking for bigger tank, looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was checking the local classified ads in the paper and found 2 great deals. 1 is a 90 gal reef tank with stand and the other is a 135 tank with stand. The reef ready tank has the internal skimmer while the 135 does not. They are both the same price (asking $300).

Seeing as I have a FOWLR setup today but eventually want to get a full reef going would you recommend the 90 or the 135? Do you take size over function? I know I can get a HOB skimmer, but have read that there are potential issues with them.

Advice please and thanks in advance!!

I have the $$ for one, not both. Keep in mind that which ever tank I get I have to buy lights, so both is not an option (that what my wife said).

Can the 135 be Drilled? If it can, it would not take that much to make it reef ready and you would not be in the same situation that you are now in 2 years -- looking for an upgrade. I just made the jump from a 60 to a 175, so I know what you are going through.

Today is (was) my lucky day. I went and checked out the 135, the tank was nice but the stand was very 1970's. They would not consider a lower price so I passed. The guy with the 90 reef called but I was on my way out the door to a family gathering. While eating dinner with family I was talking to my wife about the 135 and my cousin that I dont see much says "Hey I just took down a 120 that you can have if you want it. We are moving and I dont want to deal with it." I should have bought a lottery ticket. :D

Thanks for all the advice!!

WOW nice catch on the Kam, That will be a very nice setup. What are the tank demensions so we can help you out on the lighting aspect?

Go 6'x2'x2'. That's what I'm craving right now. Too bad you're not closer. You could buy me the 6'x2'x2' and then I'd give you my 4'! LOL! Anyone nearby want to go in on it instead?

Back
Top Bottom