Looking for infomation for a nano reef (newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan.Marie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know nothing about saltwater but over the summer my roommate and I have decided we want a small 5 gallon salt water aquarium. I would like a bit of coral for the colors and other things that grow in saltwater (cant you tell I am clueless) I was wondering could we put 2 clownfish in a 5 gallon is that okay I saw a picture online with a clownfish in a 1 gallon. Also what supplies would I need and how much would it cost. i am a freshwater girl experiencing MTS.

Haha information would be great.

Thanks for sharing your hobby with me

I will give it a good look. We are looking for a small tank to fit on like an end table that's why it has to be like 5 or six gallons.

Its just not recommended for beginners, but If you like the cube kind of look, you could go for a 14 gallon or 29 gallon bio-cube, they will possibly be able to fit on the end table.

It's possible to do a 5 gallon reef tank but I do think you have to be really experienced to do it. Water parameters would have to be monitored almost daily. And having fish in a small tank is cruel, IMO. You could live in a tiny room but it wouldn't be pleasant. More you could do a tank that size with inverts. :)

There are a few nano tanks in the 14 gallon range that come with a good portion of the equiments you need. That would be big enough for a pair of clowns but you would have to make sure they were just ocellaris (nemo if you must : ) ) since most other types of clowns get a bit to big.

I don't know what your budget and size restraints are but if you can swing it the smallest of the red sea max models (34 gallons) are really nice tanks for what you are trying to do. The come with additional equipment (mainly a skimmer) that other tanks do not. They are also a good option if you would like to keep coral as well. Just something to look at.

Back
Top Bottom