looking for plumbing setup suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got my hands on a 55gal tank. I wanted to get it drilled but I found out its tempered so there goes that idea. now I find my self looking for plumbing setup suggestion? It need to be something that wont flood the room like my prior set-up (siphon to sump)....I plan on making a overflow chamber on one corner with a simple piece of plexi... my dilema once again what would be the most efficient and quiet? What would the best water flow rate? Im looking at pumps between 700 & 1000gph. I do plan on using a sump (20gal long)? 1/2", 3/4" or 1" pipe?

diagrams or photos would help also.....

I suspect that the bottom glass is the only piece that is tempered. You could probably have the back drilled...check with the manufacturer. Darin at Captive Reefs may be able to tell you as well...he has a lot of info on that sort of thing. I would probably go with a Durso standpipe and have it elbow through the hole you get drilled. The only other option is an internal/external overflow.

Drain line of 1" and size your return line based on the pump you pick. A 1" overflow should be able to process 600-700GPH with fairly stright plumbing.

I agree...I would probably shoot for 500-600gph total flow through the sump. You'll need a pump slightly larger than this as head pressure will reduce your flow a bit. Then, I'd add a closed loop or some powerheads. A closed loop pump with an SQWD is a good setup for extra flow that is simple and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom