Looking for Seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for Seahorses that are guaranteed to be colorful. I've found some at seahorses.com, but they aren't available and haven't been for the past two months. Everywhere else I look, the seahorses are usually shipped brown. If you know of any website please let me know.

I've never seen Seahorses that weren't brown or yellow. I'd be interested in finding out too. I never knew other colors were commercially available...

Someone here has a beautiful orange seahorse.. I can't remember who though :(

EDIT: I think it's Mermaid! :)

You cannot guarantee seahorses to be certain colors. They ALL have the ability to change their color with their surroundings and their mood and overall health. Alot of people put colorful fake corals or nylon rope in with their horses to get them to change colors. Some never will. As an example, I had a pair of bright yellow kudas....they turned brown to match the rocks. I had red barbouri, they remained red after I put some fake orange hitching posts in the tank.

I could be wrong but I think Seahorses do better in a species only tank as they are very sensitive/vulnerable.. I would think that includes corals that could release toxins too.

seahorses do need a species only tank...their are a few things that are safe with them. They are a very sensitive species and their needs are very demanding. You will notice with the link given above, there is a NG next to them which means no guarantee.....not a fish for the beginner.

Thanks Atari! I do in fact have a brazillian orange seahorse. I purchased him from the LFS about five months ago. He was among two others, but I chose this one because he was much brighter than the others. I keep him in a species only tank. He is hand fed 5-6 ghost shrimp/ day, and some live brine shrimp. He is a great eater, and his color has maintained it brightness (even though the tank is being over-run by some prolifera macro algae). Ya'll fee free to check out the pictures I have of him in my photo gallery, his name is Pecos. I am also looking for one more seahorse to go with him, I am holding out for a yellow or red one.
Good Luck,
Mermaid

I was considering seeing if it were possible to put a sea horse in a refuge with just lr and algae. What is the maximum waterflow they can withstand and would any of the toxins from any possible coral purchases in the main tank affect the sea horses? The total system in all will be about 220 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom