Looking for some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a forty gallon breeder that I was thinking about turning into a reef tank. I would be using a marineland penguin 200. For a skimmer I was looking at a reef octopus hob bh100. What size blower would I need? Also, could I do half live sand and half normal aquarium sand to save some money? How many pounds of base rock? How many pounds of live rock? Lastly about how much money would the rock cost me? *edit* sorry wrong category. Thanks in advance

Largely, HOB filtersl ike your marineland aren't used in saltwater. They turn into nitrate traps similar to canister filters. Your rock will filter the water for you. In terms of base and live rock, all the rock you get will become live after the cycle, so pick whichever you like. The general rule of thumb is 1 lb of rock per gallon, same goes for sand unless you want a deeper sandbed, which is your choice really. In terms of sand, if you are looking to save money you can simply buy pool filter sand.
In terms of cost you, that is a general question. Will this be a FO system or a reef? If it is going to be a reef, then you will have a heavy investment into the lighting. Biggest mistake I see in this hobby is people buying coral and anemones expecting it to survive under the stock lighting that came with their tank. Sadly, it just doesn't work.

Eventually I would like coral but thats not in my initial plans or budget. So what you are saying is that I can just get normal sand and base rock and just wait for it to cycle. Should I get any additives to put bacteria into the tank. Any advice for blowers?

Ok, "normal sand and rock" will lead you astray. Play sand and sand like it shouldn't be used in our tanks. Pool filter sand or agrigate based sands. To make it live just cycle your tank with a uncooked shrimp and it'll end up being live when you are finished. Don't use additives, they are hit or miss. All it does is gain you a week maybe. The jury is out on bacteria in a bottle...if it works there would be a shelf life on the stuff and need to be refridgerated...all I know is that around me that doesn't exist.

In terms of powerheads, what you are refering to as blowers, that is also a general question. For FO, you could get away with one pointed at the surface of the water. I'm a korallia fan, as they are cheap and reliable. Size will vary depending on what you want...some coral need more flow than others when really fish don't care very much as long as there is oxygen in the water.

Hey I really appreciate all the help I can get haha and thanks for filling me in on the correct terms I'm a scrub in the sw scene so it means a lot! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom