Looking for some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to combine some of the coral and rock in my 75g with my 29g. Basically combine the items I want to keep from both tanks and sell the rest. I am thinking I will change a couple things in the process though and as a result I was hoping some folks with experience in these areas could chime in.
First, I would like to ditch substrate all together. I have sand in both tanks and it seems to be more of a chore than its worth to keep it turned over and clean. Not fact, just my opinion. Anyway I was looking to hear from folks that have experience with bare bottom tanks. I actually like the cleaner look and I believe will appreciate the ez of clean up. I also think it means giving up my goby, though I never see it since it stays buried all the time...Second I am thinking about switching from MH/PC/VHO's to T5. I have seen enough examples of wonderful tanks with T5 lighting to convince me that great things can happen with VHO/T5 including clams, SPS, etc. I'd really like to hear from someone on this one, especially someone thats growing SPS and/or clams under non MH lights.

Lastly the setup I am considering...

About a 40G cube, drilled plumbed with a ?? sump/fuge. I think I will just buy all new skimmer for it though I do like the 2 I have. I currently use no filtration other than the lr in both tanks (Unless you consider skimming filtration..) and I believe I will do the same in the new setup. I am also considering purchasing a ca reactor and controller to automate reactor and temp. A chiller is possible too though I am hoping T5 will prove less a burden than traditional MH.

Its just a vision right now but you have to start somewhere and I figure theres enough experience among the members to make some good suggestions and offer some of what *not* to do.

Thanks
-PC

I don't have a barebottom tank, but have seen many people fit the bottom of their tanks with StarBoard bottoms, to protect the glass, give a natural white appearance without the sand. Just make sure you keep high flow towards the bottom so gunk doesn't collect there.

I just bought a T5 setup (4 x 39 watt) and so far have been amazed at the results. I am right now only growing porites under it, but would like to upgrade soon as I can get to the LFS to buy some more SPS. T5 has about as intense a light as MH, but MH focuses more light in one direction and T5 directs light throughout the length of the light bulb. MH penetrates a little deeper too I think, than T5. I definitley do not think you will have a problem with keeping sps or clams under enough T5 lighting. My porites is simply have massive growth under it.

Sorry, no clue about a Ca reactor or the like.

HTH!

Why not get a good sand sifting goby so you dont have to keep turning it over. Let him do the work. As far as T5`s they are pretty good lights. I dont have them but I do know others that do and hear good results.

I believe it is on her 29g. I have been thinking abou t5 ho over a MH setup as well....cant seem to make up my mind. But a lot of people on the reef forum I go to use the t5's for all types of coral.

Devilishturtles, What is 'starboard'? What long term maint is required to keep it clean?
As for the lighting I think I have seen enough great examples to push me to T5.

Thanks

I just put the T5 on my 45 gallon tall tank.

StarBoard is an anti-skid plastic board used in Marine applications (boats). Easy to get if you live near a boating store, not as easy to get if you don't. Some people use white cutting boards too, but you don't have as great a slip-prevention with regular white cutting boards either.

http://www.sdplastics.com/starboardas.html

You may just be better off (if you want any cover at all, that is) getting a white cutting board and using that. Would be much cheaper, and over time it will get covered with coraline algae, so it won't look as obtrusive.

There are plenty of advantages of T5 over MH (which vary depending on who you talk to). T5 is MUCH cheaper. More bulb options with T5. Less energy to run. Operates much much cooler. Doesn't increase your tanks water temperature. And others. I'm doing my own experiment I guess to see just how well I can grow sps under it, but so far I'm loving the results.

Back
Top Bottom