looking for some help with a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 65 gal tank with:

2 percola ocelarus clown fish
1 spiney box puffer
1 koran angel
1 blue hippo tang
1 heniochus

5.5 lbs live rock
10 lbs dead rock

2-3 in sand

red sea prizm skimmer
eheim pro 2224 canister filter
maxijet 1200 powerhead

2x65w CF 1 actine 1 10,000k white

I am getting a wet skim right now on my skimmer i just put in yesterday. I also want to put a goby? maybe a cleanup crew? any suggestions? mabe an anem or some corals?

the skimmer may take a few days to break in and if you still get a wet skim you need to adjust it you really want just bubbles that burst and leave behind gunk and not a good amount of water. i have a cpr and a prizm and the prizm gets next to no water only nasty slime protien. and you may want to hold off on the fish thats alot of fish in their already and if i remeber right a koran gets pretty big and also the regal tang can get more agressive as he grows. as far as the clean crew i would say maybe 25 or so different snails for differents diet alage diatos and so on. and maye 10 hermits if you like hermits.
anemone needs mh lights and some corals any leathers are a good starter coral but you may want to up the lights for corals because you only looking at 2 watts per gallon so that really low and you could only have leathers and they would grow really slow
hope that helps

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
2 percola ocelarus clown fish
1 spiney box puffer
1 koran angel
1 blue hippo tang
1 heniochus
the angel, tang and heniochus will soon need much larger digs. A full grown Koran needs at least a 135gal tank.
I also want to put a goby?
I would say you are pretty much maxed out as it is.
mabe an anem or some corals?
Your lighting is going to be an issue for corals or an anemone. It is a bit on the low end. You may be able to keep some lower light mushrooms or zoos but I would say an anemone is out of the question unless you plan a lighting upgrade first.

thanks a lot for the advice, i know i will need some new diggs soon, I will be moving within about 1-1.5 yrs into a house. I will be building a 200+ gal tank there....

Because of the small conditions i am in right now I am trying to stay away from the MH the Cf lights are heating up the tank as it is...... and it's like 6" off the tank

I am using a coralife aqualight hood and have it spaced off with a coupe of cans of beans for right now till i get the legs in...

the more LR the better. If you are relying on LR for biologica filtration 1-2lbs/gal is a good goal. check out www.liverocks.com for some of the best aquacultured LR (and service) available.

I have the same skimmer. The goal is to raise the collection cup as high as possible. Then try and get the bubbles to form just under the rubber seal.

You should definatly add more rock. I would look for some fully cured rock and add 5-10 pounds at a time till you reach your goal.

Agree with lando on the fish load.. Way too much for a 55 and adding LR can only help maintain the fish you have now. Adding a coral and anemone are out IMO with the puffer and angel. Anemones require a mature tank and great water quality and proper lighting. Depending on the puffer size it may eat any clean up crew you put in.

Back
Top Bottom