Looking to add a starfish eventually.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank has been up for over 3 months, it is a 29 gallon reef setup (or will get there eventually). I am hoping to add a starfish and was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion of what to get. I have read some eat corals and some need a developed tank. I can wait for my tank to develop more but I would like to start planning ahead for my new addition. Does anyone know of a cool reef safe star that would be at home in my 29 gallon?

Ericwm said:
My tank has been up for over 3 months, it is a 29 gallon reef setup (or will get there eventually). I am hoping to add a starfish and was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion of what to get. I have read some eat corals and some need a developed tank. I can wait for my tank to develop more but I would like to start planning ahead for my new addition. Does anyone know of a cool reef safe star that would be at home in my 29 gallon?

I think I would suggest a sand sifting star. I'm not sure about any others though.

Has anyone had any luck with a Red Bali or a Linckia starfish? I saw they might be reef safe, if so is a 29 gallon big enough and how long before I could introduce them into my tank?

Thanks for that. I don't want to kill anything I just think stars are cool and my wife really wants one. Has anyone had any luck with the red Bali?

I see my serpent star a lot in my reef and the sand sifters far less often. My serpent comes out to eat when I feed and has his legs out all the time.

I can wait if needed, how long does everyone recommend? Is 1 year long enough for the tank to support a star?

I just bought a red brittle star fish from reefs2go for 10 bucks. Looks great and i see it all the time hiding under the rocks.

Ditto on the reefs2go, good quality and cheap!

A year should be ok, as long as you don't overstock. What size tank, sorry if you already posted.

IMO, a serpent star might be okay, but as said, you will only see him if he is desperate for food, otherwise he will be hidden. Same with sand sifting stars. It takes either a well established aquarium, or some pretty difficult feeding to keep them healthy. All the really colorful stars tend to be almost impossible to keep for long term for most people.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Ditto on the reefs2go, good quality and cheap!

A year should be ok, as long as you don't overstock. What size tank, sorry if you already posted.

It is a 29 gallon.

You maybe pushing it with any starfish, as they consume the microfarad in the sand bed. A 29 has a very small footprint. I have 2 small sand sifting stars in 180 and I am afraid they will starve. You might be able to do a small serpent or brittle. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just a realist. Sorry.

Rosesrblu1 said:
You maybe pushing it with any starfish, as they consume the microfarad in the sand bed. A 29 has a very small footprint. I have 2 small sand sifting stars in 180 and I am afraid they will starve. You might be able to do a small serpent or brittle. Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just a realist. Sorry.

I appreciate the realist opinion, I don't want to kill anything. Plus my wife is the one who really wants a star so maybe I can use this as leverage for a second larger tank once I get the whole salt water thing down.

I have a sand sifting star in my 29 biocube. I have a deep sand bed though. Atleast four inches and deeper in other spots. But they are right 90% of the time he is never out. Then he will pop out of now where and be out for ten min then gone again. It's cool if you see it coming out cause it comes straight up and then looks like its hovering around.

image-1585822419.jpg

Back
Top Bottom