Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnonamexx
... Any places you prefer online that sell the hard frags?
You might want to check out www.fragsncrabs.com

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Adding live rock is always good but that will not contribute into placing more corals, in fact it will add to your bioload.
Could you explain this please? It goes against everything I've ever heard and can't imagine how it would be true. Maybe that's part of old school thoughts?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have had leathers, zoos, LPS and SPS(Monti and Acros) in my tank for about a year now. I have done some massive pruning on the leathers and pretty much removed all but 2 as of late though. I do run carbon 24/7 but as long as you give them space, you can have a mixed reef. I would try Montipora Digitata and maybe a Cap. These SPS are more forgiving.

I have seen nice growth in my acros, torts and Montis even with my leathers. I had a sinularia leather that spanned about 12" across. I fragged it and it is still in my system but it is downstairs in my frag tank. I do have a Devils hand and a toadstool in my display still.

It is easier to have a more species specific tank.

HTH
Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info I have the red sea deluxe protein skimmer supposed to be one of the best. I understand I shouldn't change much but Should I make a final change to prevent chemical warfare? Thankjs
Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

You can't prevent the chemical warfare. In a mixed reef it will happen. The carbon just helps keep everything happy. Some corals do it more than others though.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Phyl, what I wanted to state here was that with adding live rock would not mean that you would be able to add more corals... You would have a better biological filtration indeed but you would increase your biolad thus needing a bigger and more efficient skimmer... Maybe I did not make myself clear on this fact

Yes, like ellisz stated, carbon is really important (I totally forgot about carbon), and I would suggest having maybe 2 oz in your tank and change it weekly. This and heavy skimming are what successfull reefkeepers rely on...
Old 09-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Adding LR and/or corals does not add to you bioload though. I believe that is what Phyl was questioning.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
with adding live rock would not mean that you would be able to add more corals... You would have a better biological filtration indeed but you would increase your biolad thus needing a bigger and more efficient skimmer
That's what I thought you were saying. I don't agree that rock is adding to your bioload (processing it? Yes; adding to it? No).

Heavy skimming is indeed helpful, regardless!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

LR would not increase your bioload, more corals would... Well at least I thought corals added to your bioload, I may be wrong...

Tags
coral, corals, hard coral, hard corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com