Looking to Purchase MH lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What should I do?

• Option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 1

• Option 3

• Option 4

• Total voters

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
Doesn't look like retro-fitting is going to save me any money compared to a hood but that's ok. Kit is for a 110g w/ a center divider, and I have a 60" CSL 4x65 PC unit that somehow I'm going to incorporate into this, maybe try to retro-fit it or something. I'm looking to keep at least a couple of SPS.

Here are my options (VHOs are 140w each):
Option 1) 2x175 MH unit with 2 VHOs and sell the PCs [630 w total]
Option 2) 2x175 MH unit with 2 VHOs and try to place a couple of the PCs in the middle of the reflector [760w total]
Option 3) Run two reflectors on the lid, one with 2x175 MH and the other with 4x65 w PCs. [610 w total]
Option 4) Run two reflectors on the lid, one with 2x175 MH and VHOs and the other with 4x65 w PCs. [890 w total]

Any other suggestions? I don't think I need 250w MHs.

How deep is the tank? I would think you want at least 250's in a 110, I'm running a 175 watt in a 12" deep 20 gallon. The 250's aren't that much more and there on sale at http://www.captivereefs.com Might create some more heat, but some fans will take care of that.

I agree, I'd go with 250's, they aren't that much more expensive and a good amount more light. IMO, 2 MH's may not cover your 60" tank, you may have shadows on the ends of the tank.

I would also run 250w bulbs as well if not 400's I would go with 3 bulbs

either 3x250w or 2x400w and 1x250w or 3x400w And then use the PC bulbs for our Actinic supplement.. Run all 4x65w as Actinic.. Should look really good.. I run 2x250w mh and 2x110w vho Actinic bulbs on my 55g tank..

HTH<
James

why dont you skip the vho and just use the pc? that is what i would do. and i took out my csl light just a few days ago and put them in a new hood. it is really ez to do. and take very little time if you know what each wire dose.

Tank is 24" deep, however, it's ~ 19 inches down to the sandbed.
Also, since I'm building the canopy, and 12" wood is acutally 11", my MHs are only going to be ~ 6-8" above the top of the tank.

Two 250s plus whatever I need for actinics seems like a lot of wattage. With the VHOs actinics that'd be 780w, about 7w / g. Plus I would have to worry about the middle section, so if I put a couple of PCs there it'd be 910 w, or about 8 w/ gallon. That seems a little high to me, as most sites recommend 3-5 w/g.

Since I have a center divider, I can't put one MH there, and two additional MH is way above my budget. So I figure my only options are to put my MH at the ends and some PCs in the middle, or just let the VHOs hopefully take care of it. I can place the light intensive corals near the ends.

So you guys don't think that's too much wattage with the 250s?

why dont you skip the vho and just use the pc? that is what i would do. and i took out my csl light just a few days ago and put them in a new hood. it is really ez to do. and take very little time if you know what each wire dose.

You mean with two reflectors? I don't see how it would be possible to fit both the PCs and MHs on one 60" reflector. I guess that would be option 3. The bulbs are the 65w, so they aren't straight like the 95s.

I just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4315650399&rd=1

4 250w MH ballasts, 4 10k bulbs, and 4 reflectors. Looks like a way too good deal.

The reflectors look like junk if I go for this should I ask them to exclude the reflectors and just install them all on a 60" reflector, or do you think what is included is enough. They say each reflector is 11 inches long, which doesn't make any sense from the picture.

Hmm...likely a scam and the ballasts and lights are likely junk.

Nevermind, I think I can put the MH in my existing reflector, however, they would kind of be near the ends. This would give me 175 or 250 w of MH at each end and 260w of 10k PC lighting in the middle. However this would leave me without actinics.

Would running 60" actinic VHOs down each side need a reflector? The inside of my canopy is going to be painted white. However if I ran 250w MHs this would put my total at 1040 watts 8O

If I go with 2 instead of 4 PCs in the middle and 175w MH instead of 250 this would put my total at 760 w with the actinic VHOs.

Maybe something like this?

lights.JPG

Im telling ya Dont worry about the Wattage or WPG.. They dont really mean anything.. YOur dealing with mh lights.. I would go no Less than 3x250w on a tank that size... If you want to compare watts.. I have 720w of light on my 55g tank.. Reefrunner has a single 250w mh light on his 20g The 175w bulbs are just wayyy too little for a tank that size... I would personally do the 2x400w on the outside and a single 250w in the middle and use the PCs for actinic supplement... You can never really have too much lighting...

James

Sparky has a real good deal.

Hmm...how about a 250w on each side, two 175w MH in the middle (since they're sharing the same one foot of space), and use my PCs for actinics (since I already have them, otherwise I'd go with VHOs)?

If I used 400w my wife would kill me.

That would work as well... I would just stay with atleast 250w.. You have room to upgrade in the future... Why buy a 175w ballast when its not really good for anything if you upgrade tanks...

hth,
James

Back
Top Bottom