Looks like grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petalas82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have new algae in my sand and it looks like grass. I am wondering if its safe or good. My hermit crabs don't eat it. Is there a safe way I can remove it. When I cleaned my tank I got most out but it comes right back. I have added 2 pics to show what I am talking about. Thanks so much

Attachments

• image-1522691359.jpg
    image-1522691359.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2968478054.jpg
    image-2968478054.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 130
It's green hair algae. Usually fed by nitrates and phosphates, hence the previous post.
Not really good or bad, most consider it unsightly if not kept under control. Generally it;s a sign that your parameters are out of whack. Too much of this or that just like any other type of algae growth.
Lawnmower blenny or tangs would eat it, but it's always hit or miss depending on the individual fish. Foxface too.

Ya that's my PH. I had my phosphates tested at the store, but now a can't remember what it was I do remember him saying it was a little high but not real bad. He gave me some pads to add to my filter system to see if it would help.

What's a good time I should run my might. I have 2 light a low power that runs 7hr and a high power that runs 5.

Petalas82 said:
Ya that's my PH. I had my phosphates tested at the store, but now a can't remember what it was I do remember him saying it was a little high but not real bad. He gave me some pads to add to my filter system to see if it would help.

Phosphates should be at 0. Are you using RODI water?

Yes my water is RODI water. Is there some kind invert that will clean it up?

Back
Top Bottom