Losing fish to the overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need Help guys,

I have a pair of true percula, and nearly lost the male today. The female was in a panic state, and he was not to be found, until I looked the micron bag in my sump. Shaken & Stirred he was returned to the tank but seems though he'll pull through. (?)

I lost 2 citron gobys to the overflow too. Alas, they did not fair as well. :cry:
The obvious choice is to get bigger fish...

**Is there anything you can put in or around the overflow that won't clog causing an overflow of the tank and wont let the fish get sucked out?

Can you describe your overflow? Does it have a skimmer box? Is it a reef ready overflow? Are you using a Durso or similar device to eliminate gurgling?
I have seen small fish in the skimmer box. For the most part your fish should not be able to find their way into the overflow. It may be a setup problem.
Is there anything you can put in or around the overflow that won't clog causing an overflow of the tank and wont let the fish get sucked out?
Yes. Describe your overflow and something can be suggested that will work with your style of overflow.

We are trying the bio ball method. We lined the top of the over flow with them. It seems to keep the fish from getting through the slots while still allowing full flow.

Back
Top Bottom