Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTank View Post
I'm acclimating a new shrimp now! So far so good. Any signs to look for that I should pull the drip & let him settle or rush & pour water out??
Not really the shrimp will do its own thing. If you follow those steps you should be fine. I've never lost an invert during acclimation using that method

Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

THANK YOU Tkey3425!!! The shrimp survived acclimation & is doing well!!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Just throwing it in will shock the invert with a instant swing in PH due to the bag it was in will have a lower PH. Also if their salinity is different that will be an instant swing as well. The key is to acclimate them as slow as possible without making any sudden shifts in any parameters.
Most of the time (probably almost all of the time). But I did want to point out something that I just learned. I recently bought a CUC package from ReefCleaners and they want you to through their inverts into your system after only acclimating the water temp. Apparently they raise their livestock under tidal conditions thus getting the animals used to swings in temperature, salinity, PH, etc. makes the trip a little hit easier. just thought I'd throw that out there. Seems pretty ingenious to me. Might be worth asking our LFS in the near future if this is how livestock is being raised.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
Most of the time (probably almost all of the time). But I did want to point out something that I just learned. I recently bought a CUC package from ReefCleaners and they want you to through their inverts into your system after only acclimating the water temp. Apparently they raise their livestock under tidal conditions thus getting the animals used to swings in temperature, salinity, PH, etc. makes the trip a little hit easier. just thought I'd throw that out there. Seems pretty ingenious to me. Might be worth asking our LFS in the near future if this is how livestock is being raised.
That's not entirely true. The reasoning for the immediate drop into the tank if for the same reason I described above. The bag water drops in PH while rising in toxic ammonia. Because ammonia is less toxic at lower ph levels, the animals survive higher levels. BUT as soon as your 8-8.5 ph tank water hits the water in the bag the toxicity levels jump drastically and therefore shocks/poisons the animal. This isn't always looked at as to the cause because the fish won't die instantly but the damage will be done and they normally perish shortly after being put into the tank where the deaths are later diagnosed to illness, disease, etc.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand the correlation. My point was that I was shocked that they asked to not put ones display tank water into their bags (voided their warranty). This was new to me b/c up until now I had always acclimated as was described above. Really just pointing out something new to me on the subject.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I understand the correlation. My point was that I was shocked that they asked to not put ones display tank water into their bags (voided their warranty). This was new to me b/c up until now I had always acclimated as was described above. Really just pointing out something new to me on the subject.
Yes but being a prior LFS owner I noticed that more often than not people would buy fish and get them home. Then do the add some water every 5-10 minutes acclimation. That method works fine for freshwater and some saltwater that has been bagged for less than 30 minted or so. We tested a bag of tank water at my shop and 15 minutes in the ph dropped from 8.4 to 8.3 ( not too bad right?) well at the 30 minute mark ph tested at 8.1( still not the end of the world) after that it went to 7.7 and hung there for the rest of our test. (About 6 hours). We did not test it with livestock as I do not believe in testing or cycling with live animals so the ammonia buildup is anyone's guess. But that goes to show you why I decided to use the method I stated earlier in the post. Being that 90% of my high end fish came from California I had a pretty big curve to keep everything shipped to me alive. When I had a very large shipment I would actually have a bin of lower ph water to dilute the ammonia without spiking the toxicity. Then when normal levels were achieved if raise the ph to my store water. I still do that to an extend in my home aquariums since I have sold my store to my business partner and pursued other career options.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's awesome you have such experience. Again, never said anything to debunk the method that most if us use (due to years if trial and error of hobbyists before us) just was pointing out something interesting in relation to the point. Here is a company that uses it's aquaculture practices to prepare its livestock for extreme shipping conditions. At no point did I say anything to undermine any of our known good practices. I hope I never came across as such
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It's awesome you have such experience. Again, never said anything to debunk the method that most if us use (due to years if trial and error of hobbyists before us) just was pointing out something interesting in relation to the point. Here is a company that uses it's aquaculture practices to prepare its livestock for extreme shipping conditions. At no point did I say anything to undermine any of our known good practices. I hope I never came across as such
Maybe the theory is that of "Survival of the fittest." If the fittest survives these tests only the best quality livestock will reach the maybe more novice tank owners & will survive the acclimation. Makes sense. Sounds like extra work. But it's probably kinda like LFS's that quarantine before selling livestock. They make sure they're only selling quality animals & it's probably just downright a better way to do business.

But I also believe having the knowledge of appropriate acclimation. I knew inverts were sensitive & thought I was doing the right thing. Sucks that LFS's don't guarantee saltwater just pass the risk & cost to the customer who may just get frustrated, buy from another store or quit their tank all together.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com