Lost Astrea Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schgred

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read different things online about this and done just about everything recommended and have had no luck.

I cannot find a 1 inch astrea snail in my 37 gallon anywhere. This isn't a small snail either. Last time I saw him I was doing a water change. I thought that maybe I knocked him off the rock he was on by pouring the water back in. I literally took apart my tank sifted through the sand throughout the whole tank and he is nowhere to be found. Obviously the shell would have to be in the tank somewhere if he was dead but I can't find it!

If he is somewhere that I just haven't looked and he is dead will this mess with my tank? Do these things come out of the tank?

very unlikely he came out of the tank because you would have find him on the floor right? now if you have a overflow box you might want to check there?
don't worry too much about it. if you have some hermits and other snails they will eat the dead snail. bristle worms are also good scavengers too.

I didn't think there was any way he got out. I only have 4 hermit crabs, an emerald crab, and 3 nassarius snails. Would it be wise to pick anything else up to add to the clean up crew?

well, you could pick up a few more snails that are algae eaters... in my oppinion nassarius snails are more of detritus eaters. plus a few more hermits won't hurt...

however, i think cleanup crews are a little overrated... just make sure your water parameters are good. water quality is key in this hobby.

goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom