lost clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smnw10

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon reef setup and seem to have lost one of my clowns. I fed them today and about half an hour later realized one of them was missing. After a few hours of not seeing him I got a bit paranoid and checked all over to see if he jumped out...glass lid covers all but back inch because of protein skimmer. Didn't find him out of the tank. I turned the power heads off (the fish all come out when I do that) but he was a no show. Lifted up some of the rock and moved things around and no luck, although I didn't check under/move everything. So a few more hours pass and he's still a no show.

I guess my question is how quickly could hermits and the cleaner shrimp take care of the body if he had died?
Or, if they have eggs somewhere would he be protecting them?

There's nothing in the tank that could have eaten him other than the anenome I have...is that even a possibility?

Just wanted to share and see what anyone had to say as it appears he pulled a Houdini and I'm not sure I'll ever see him again! Was swimming around eating and half an hour later is MIA. PH, Amonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are all fine, so is temp and all the other critters.

Yeah I have a feeling it is gone for good. I have never had a clown vanish, but I have had a couple chromis vanish

Nope he's gone. I have maybe 10 hermits. Checked today and the other clown was dead stuck to the intake on the powerhead and my sea urchin "lost" his decorations he's been carrying around for months. I've heard this happens when they get stressed?

I checked the PH is 8.2 and the Nitrite is 0. Am out of Nitrate test though. My protein skimmer has been acting up the last few weeks and I'm going to buy a new one.
Is there something else I should be checking as far as water quality?
SG is 1.025

I've been feeding mysis shrimp, alge strips, and algae cubes (forget the name of them).

The other fish and anenome seem to be just fine.

What is your temperature throughout the day? When is the last time you did a water change? Find out what your Nitrate is. HIGH Nitrate is also a toxin.

Temp stays steady at 79 degrees. I do 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks or so (55 gallon tank). I'm due for one on Monday.
I add about 1 gallon of RODI water every 2-3 days because of evaporation which goes in at room temp...72 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom