Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

lost my first fish

hey all. I have just lost my first fish, a blue damselfish. As soon as i put him in the tank, my maroon clown instantly started harassing him, I hoped it would pass and it was just the maroon asserting his authority(i know the maroon is a damsel). I fed them and the damsel ate just fine and the next day the maroon didnt seem to pay much attention to the new damsel so i thought all was well. the next evening when i was at work the gf said the damsel was MIA. I thought he was just hiding and would pop back up soon. Well its been two days since we last seen him and when i got home i noticed there where no crabs visable anywhere so i assume they where cleaning up the "mess." My gf wondered if we could get more than one and they stand a better chance, a little safty in numbers. It seems like i read somthing like that some where, that the harrassment is spread out amoung the group and not on just one fish. Any truth to that? any suggestions?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear about your loss, it always stinks to lose a pet. I'd say the maroon clown would be my prime suspect. They can be unrelenting and he may have been fighting with your blue damsel at night after lights out. The safety in numbers to spread aggression might work for you. Others have also had success in rearranging the LR in the tank to kind of reset boundaries (especially useful if you have a fish that thinks the whole dam tank is his).Only other option is to sell the maroon clown and get a less aggresive clown species.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea selling maroon is not option the gf loves him thats her fish. I might try rearranging live rock. thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'd still not be so sure the clown killed him.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sorry about the loss. If you get a few it doesn't always mean he'll stop. He may go after the smallest and do the same. I speak from experience.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'd still not be so sure the clown killed him.
well im not sure either but the clown was chasin him around and being aggresive towards him. Talked to LFS tonite and asked about buying a group of damsels, she said she would worry that the damsels would pick on the clown after growing some. well damsels are out. trying to decide wat to get next thats reef safe. thanks everyone
Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
My condolences. Sorry for your loss
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If they do well, they still are more likely to harrass any new fish added later. I've just heard of too many people trying to take all the rocks apart to catch damsels after they get more comfortable and mean. That clown/damsel could be a problem too, but it did sound like on the first day he asserted himself and proved his superiority, then on the second day all was well.

Try gobies, blennies, cardinals.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

After having a GSM for 8 yrs I would say he was the culprit. GSM`s are the meanest of the clowns. He probably should have been the last fish added. Next time if you see any aggression cut the lights off and move some LR around.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

There's your answer maybe. Return the clown and add others first.

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com