Lost new Hammer to brown Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is over 2 months old and everything has been great. I purchased a Hammer and it was fine for 2 weeks, but then developed brown jelly disease and I lost it in less than 1 week. Tried suctioning it, dipping it, brushing it, but it came back even stronger and today I came home and saw there were a couple polyps left. So I just threw it away. All my other corals are doing great. Sad day. In 3 weeks I lost a canary blenny (5 days) and my Hammer. Water parameters are perfect. Anyone have an explanation for the Hammer?

Saltwater tanks need to aged BEFORE you add any coral,..regardless of what your parameters say,..doesn't mean anything at this point ,... Probably 6 month minimum but preferable 8-10 months,....your tank needs this time to stabilize and mature itself and it doesn't happen over nite nor in two months.
An analogy I've used before,..saltwater is like red wine,...you might have the perfect grapes and everything looks great BUT unless that wine is aged it's going to be undrinkable.... The hammer family btw is very susceptible to brown jelly disease,... Just take things very very slow and you'll be fine,...the old saying in saltwater is " nothing good happens fast in saltwater" ,....just take your time,..let your tank mature for a few more months and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom