Lost power no generator what do I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best thing to do would be to invest in a generator. Then have it hooked up to your house so that if you lose power then the generator comes on. I live on the east coast and it has come in handy for me since we seem to be getting some nasty hurricanes. Generators are expensive but IMO they are worth the money...saves your tank and freezers

Best thing to do would be to invest in a generator. Then have it hooked up to your house so that if you lose power then the generator comes on. I live on the east coast and it has come in handy for me since we seem to be getting some nasty hurricanes. Generators are expensive but IMO they are worth the money...saves your tank and freezers

All true but it wont help when I can't get off my street.

Ok being a fire chief and having been through a lot of these situations. I have some questions and maybe I can help.

Why can't you get out of your street?

Are you on a main road or secondary( side street) or a dead end.

Snowed in or tree down? If tree is down does it involve wires?

Can you answer any of these? I may be able to give you advice on speeding up the process.

I am on a side. Street that is not plowed and has several fallen trees and powerlines.

Did you call your local DPW? Police and or fire? They prioritize situations. So you should be a priority. If there was a fire or medical emergency god for bid they did to be able to get through.

It's called "cut and clear" you make a small path and throw the debris to the side. I would call an tell them you need to get out. NJ you said?

It's a state law... They can't leave downed tress and wires unattended. There probably primary and secondary wires also which means there's a lot of juice going through there. Just because your power is out doesn't mean the wires aren't live. There opening themselves up for a law suit if something happens.

I'd call and complain and get someone there NOW! Don't take no for an answer.

We already reported it but to be hOnest there is no priority my town is DEVASTATED over 2000 homes don't have power,

Really? Wow I'm sorry to hear that. That's Terrible. I wish I could help. That's been my job for 8 years and I hate when I can't help.

Really? Wow I'm sorry to hear that. That's Terrible. I wish I could help. That's been my job for 8 years and I hate when I can't help.

Thanks for your thoughts, it's tough but we!ll make it through.

Zachey, the UPS (Uninterruptable power supply) greatly depends on the amount of power your pulling from it.... The more money you want to spend the longer it will run...

If you have a small 12v pump or aerator you can bring your car battery inside and hook it up to that.... If you can manage to make it to walmart look in the sporting goods section by the fishing... They make bait buckets that come with small areators that run off D batteries i'd grab a couple of those.

what kind of filter system do you have. I read if the power goes out take your cartridges and put them in separate source of water because the bacteria that are in them will die and could pollute the fish when power goes back on.

I'm in the same boat. Just lost power about an hour ago. When Irene came through we lost power for 4 days and I lost a fish because of it. I already planned to go to my LFS tomorrow, now its just an emergency mission haha. Good luck.

what kind of filter system do you have. I read if the power goes out take your cartridges and put them in separate source of water because the bacteria that are in them will die and could pollute the fish when power goes back on.

I have a bio wheel, do I need a new cartrige?

i bought an air raider, here is my plan to keep up heat,
take out 50% of the water, warm fresh water on stove, tripple bag it, place it in tank

Is this your 20 gallon saltwater? If so DO NOT REPLACE THE BIOWHEEL!!!!!! Your tank with go through another cycle and crash!!!

Back
Top Bottom