Lost power no generator what do I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just brought what livestock I could get to my LFS, my firefish didn't make it. Due to the mass poweroutage they're not charging for boarding. Maybe a LFS near you is doing the same if you can get out.

Wrap the tank in blankets to help keep the temparature up. While its dark they critters will slow down and not burn up oxygen too fast anyway. But that only buys a little time I've heard. Maybe hours. But the suggestions earlier in the thread to add water wont work in my opinion since it doesn't come out of the tap oxygenated I'm thinking. Without water movement from a power head or something, you may have to accept ultimate deaths in the tank since it sounds like you may be in there for a while.

To bad you don't have a power inverter for the car and a long enuf extension cord. I've heard of folks getting by with that when logistics were agreeable.

Good luck.

SleepsWithFish said:
Is this your 20 gallon saltwater? If so DO NOT REPLACE THE BIOWHEEL!!!!!! Your tank with go through another cycle and crash!!!

Biowheel, or cartridge?

austinsdad said:
Wrap the tank in blankets to help keep the temparature up. While its dark they critters will slow down and not burn up oxygen too fast anyway. But that only buys a little time I've heard. Maybe hours. But the suggestions earlier in the thread to add water wont work in my opinion since it doesn't come out of the tap oxygenated I'm thinking. Without water movement from a power head or something, you may have to accept ultimate deaths in the tank since it sounds like you may be in there for a while.

To bad you don't have a power inverter for the car and a long enuf extension cord. I've heard of folks getting by with that when logistics were agreeable.

Good luck.

Iv heard of the bag idea. Fill a bag full of water, poke holes in it and hang it over the tank. Refill every couple hours

I'm using a power inverter now. I've had several losses but things are now looking up. Unfortunatly if you still can't get out its no good for right now. However for next time this is a very viable backup. Mines running off an extra car battery, running my heater, pump, and even the lights if I want.

A inverter and long extension cord that reaches your car is a good option as you can idle the car to recharge the battery.
Generators are a good option but they will require gas (your cars tank is a lot bigger) and don't start as dependably as your car. Keep an extra battery on a trickle charger, you can use that to jump your car if needed and as a secondary electrical source for the inverter. Most UPS backups will not last very long, but is a nice automatic option. Looks like winters gonna be fun this year...again.

The larger inverters like the one I'm using hook up directly to the cars batteries. I'm lucky enough that my dad owns a farm and extra batteries weren't hard to come by. I have 3 batteries on my living room floor and my tanks running. Ironically my heaters broken now and have to go get another. Is the new one going to break due to the cold water or was that a fluke?

By the sounds of it there isn't much you can do. I'd leave the cartridge and wheel in until power comes back or your road is clear and you can get some source of electricity.

By the sounds of it there isn't much you can do. I'd leave the cartridge and wheel in until power comes back or your road is clear and you can get some source of electricity.

got power back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can i run the filter

Keep a REALLY close eye on your water parameters. Your tank is probably very cold, and the shock to the inhabitants is going to be brutal.

Slowly bring the temps back up, and keep VERY close eye on the parameters. Get some water ready for big water changes in case your tank starts to crash.

Wish I saw this thread earlier - but its important to keep water flow and oxygenation. Double edge sword as it would have cooled off your tank faster - but without oxygen, your filter media would "die"

Best of luck! I hope everything makes it through OK. You'be been without power for over a full day?

Keep a REALLY close eye on your water parameters. Your tank is probably very cold, and the shock to the inhabitants is going to be brutal.

Slowly bring the temps back up, and keep VERY close eye on the parameters. Get some water ready for big water changes in case your tank starts to crash.

Wish I saw this thread earlier - but its important to keep water flow and oxygenation. Double edge sword as it would have cooled off your tank faster - but without oxygen, your filter media would "die"

Best of luck! I hope everything makes it through OK. You'be been without power for over a full day?

do i need a need a new filter, cartride or wheel, also power was out for 74 hours, i used an air raider for a minnow bucket to keep up flow and i took out half the water, then i boiled fresh water using only a match (only heat source) triple bagged it and put 4 of them in every hour for 74 hours

zacheyp said:
got power back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can i run the filter

Good news. As stated before I would let everything run and keep an extremely close eye on your parameters. I'm still waiting for power, could be until Thursday or Friday.

Good news. As stated before I would let everything run and keep an extremely close eye on your parameters. I'm still waiting for power, could be until Thursday or Friday.

Hang in there, what Are you doing to preserve your tank(s)?

zacheyp said:
Hang in there, what Are you doing to preserve your tank(s)?

Most of my livestock is being boarded at my LFS. For the rest I'm running a power inverter to run the heater and a PH. Every once in a while I unplug the PH and run my return pump to keep my sump warm. The return pump uses a lot more electricity though, otherwise I would just keep that going. Sucks but it has to be done, I think a generator is in my near future haha.

is it incredible that my tank lasted that long without power

Back
Top Bottom