Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To answer HOW to get rid of the algae..

it looks to be hair algae, in my experience this is very hard to get rid of but It's not impossible. Cut back on lights, do water changes regularly, test your RO water for phosphates, and cut back on feeding. Try pulling out heavily infested rock and clean off as much algae as possible with a brush. Make sure you rinse the rock before you replace it in the tank. This can help dramatically but not a guarantee to cure the problem. Clean up crew such as snails and crabs will do nothing for your problem. I had a bad algae problem 5 years ago with hair algae. I ended up taking all my rock out and scrubbing the heck out of them. Replaced the rock and did a 50% water change. This is hard on your tank but if desperate measures call for it, it works. Luck for you, it doesn't look like you have a lot of live stock. Were do you get your water? And have you tested your tanks parameters ?

Adam10045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I know when I had GHA two different things worked the best for me. The first was getting a phosban reactor and using either phosguard or phosban to absorb and reduce the level of phosphate in the water. My preference, the phosguard seemed to work better for my tank. The other method, which people sometimes disagree with, is to use marine algaefix from API. If you use this, be sure to follow the directions to the letter. Like I said, some people don't like using this method because your putting chemicals into the water but again, it worked great for my tank and wouldn't hesitate using it again if needed. I never had any damage to the fish or coral from either method. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the phosban reactor. Good luck.

Keith A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Algaefix- "Controls Cladophora, Oscillatoria/Spirulina major, and Cyclotella algae in marine aquariums."

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com