Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

how long have ya had the snails that died and how many was it ?? i read that turbos/astreas dont live long in our tanks due the the higher water temps !! it slowly kills them from what ive read !! but if was me id wait a week change out some water and place an order

Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Kinda what I figured. It was the turbos and astreas that bit it.

Anyone know if the cladacora will color up again like it did initially? Is the white a sign of stress or death? It has turned from white to red before in my tank.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
steve-s

Sorry Bearfan, don't mean to detract from your topic but I just wanted to express my own observations on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
i read that turbos/astreas dont live long in our tanks due the the higher water temps !! it slowly kills them from what ive read !!
While I do not dispute the observation on the Mexican Turbo, this is not true of the whole species. Most Turban sp snails are quite long lived and will tolerate higher temps just fine. I keep several Turbinidae sp (not mexican) that do quite well and have had them for many years. It really comes down to the exact species as to how well they fair.

The problem at hand....

As far as when to add anything back to the tank, the returning visibility of the animals is definately a good sign. I would wait a week or so longer just to be sure. As far as the cladacora, to hard to tell without being sure what truely caused it in the first place. The fact things started looking better after the cuke was removed is definately strong evidence, it could also just be coincidence. LPS coral in general are quite hardy and as long as everything starts looking better and the cladacora starts opening up again it should regain it's color. I have several times purchaced bleached LPS coral that almost always regain some sort of color, although not as vibrant as I would have hoped. I would say better than 80% though as long as it opens up again.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks steve-s. Good insight.

I'm a patient person, and will probably wait a couple weeks to make sure everything is all good. I'm doing small water changes (a couple gallons) daily and running GAC as well as my normal skimmer. Things are definately looking up.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The cladacora is starting to color up again. The pods are abundant. Some aips are returning , and the hermits are active as ever. Things are back on track.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

dr. ron has an article that covers turbos in the previous issue of reefkeeping magazine...

"A large number of Trochoideans are sold to reef aquarists despite having little or no chance of long-term survival in a reef tank. Most of these are collected from the northern shores of Baja California. Although it's south of the United States, the marine environment of the northern part of this peninsula is anything but tropical. Its Pacific side is bathed in waters that are quite cool, and is the home of several Trochoideans that are collected for the reef aquarium hobby. These animals typically have a tolerance for warm conditions, and they are often intertidal animals and can withstand quite hot water - for a while. Prolonged exposure to warm conditions, however, kills them."

furthermore, they require acclimation periods that are on the order of five to ten hours. if they survive shorter acclimation times, they may still have internal damage which could kill them weeks later.

here the quote i read !
Old 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
I do not dispute the observation on the Mexican Turbo, this is not true of the whole species.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
Most of these are collected from the northern shores of Baja California.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

All this and no one is happy that my tank has returned from the brink of destruction?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea i knew that just wanted to add that !! but were did ya get your snails if i may ask ? been using reeftopia but didnt bother with turbos :-/
Old 07-08-2004, 11:44 PM   #20
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
All this and no one is happy that my tank has returned from the brink of destruction?

Does somebody need a hug?... LOL

Cheers
Steve

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com