Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of Death Update

Well, if you read my most recent post, I believe my cucumber when nuclear. It took out all of the turbos and Astrea snails. It took out several hermits, I don't see any feather dusters, and the cladacora has all gone white.

Positive notes: Condy is on the move, but fine. Yellow Tang and Lawnmower Blenny seem uneffected.

I'm running GAC in my sump now to try to remove any toxins. Anyone have any further suggestions, or any opinion on how long to wait before reintroducing snails back into the system?

Old 07-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Lots of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
Positive notes: Condy is on the move, but fine. Yellow Tang and Lawnmower Blenny seem uneffected.
To be honest I don't think you've nailed the cause of the problem. Inverts will typically live through something like this as long as water quality is repaired soon after. Fish unfortunately are almost immediately affected and pretty much never survive depending on the size of the cuke and tank volume.

You've tested everything?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep:

SG 1.0245
Temp 80.3
PH 8.1
KH 120ppm
CA 420+
NO3 0
NO2 0
NH3 0

I just don't know what else it could be. I've recently increased flow, but that wouldn't kill off the inverts. The cladacora is white now, so that suggests something chemical. And the cucumber has white lines down his body and is somewhat deflated.

A couple of hermits did survive, and all of the nassarius snails appear to have survived also.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
steve-s

Could you post a pic of the cuke?

I would also ask about the household to see if anything airborn was possibley used? Aerosol, carpet fresheners or the like. Tank specs look fine otherwise.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What has been introduced recently? How quick did the cladacora go white? Brown jelly is certainly a possibility their.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Could you post a pic of the cuke?

I would also ask about the household to see if anything airborn was possibley used? Aerosol, carpet fresheners or the like. Tank specs look fine otherwise.
I have a picture of him originally in my gallery. I'll get a pic of him now.

The room it is in has wood floors. No new chemicals introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
What has been introduced recently? How quick did the cladacora go white? Brown jelly is certainly a possibility their.
The flow was increased, the yellow tang and lawnmower blenny were introducted.

I'm wondering if the yellow tang picked on the cucumber and it released it's defenses. The yellow tang has pretty much made short work of my yellow sponge that was near it.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I can't get a good pic of him in the QT tank he's in.

Basically, he has white lines that run down the length of his body. Most of the knobs were smooth, and are starting to reappear. He appears to be slowly recovering.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

BTW...cladacora went white almost overnight.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Skimmer is seriously working overtime with all of the death. A pleasant side effect...it appears to have killed off all of the aiptasia as well.

Fish appear to be fine, as well as the condy. Hermits appear to be returning to normal, and nassarius snails are active.

Anyone have a suggestion on how long to wait before reintroducing inverts?

All of the tests are normal, still, never did change.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Another observation...

The spaghetti worms are back out, and some of the feather dusters are as well. Noticed a bristle worm burried in the sand along the glass. Good signs.

Still have two questions:

1. How long should I wait to reintroduce snails?

2. Will the cladacora regain it's color like it did when I first got it and it was white?

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com