Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, I do have a protein skimmer. It's a 20 gallon tank that's been running for about 4 months.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You can raise your mag up to 1600-1700 with Kent Tech-M and the bryopsis will wither away. it must be the Kent product.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thinking about doing that. I have ever test kit but the magnesium. Have to pick one up this weekend.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The Red Sea Mg test seems to work.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good thing tomorrow is payday...lol
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had the same problem a year ago so j bought a phosphate reactor and added phosban to it. Problem was gone in less then a week!! Gd luck
Old 02-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
you can do 2 big 50% water changes back to back to cut back most of the nitrates and phosphates
Just a note to clarify this...Two 50% changes will not eliminate your nitrate/phosphates. For example, if your nitrate was 20ppm initially, after the first change, it drops to 10, then to 5 after the 2nd change (a 75% reduction). It's not 0, but it's a heckuva lot better than 20.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
how is using macro algae to battle phosphate issue a lost cause? the use of macroalgae in sw setups is a fairly common practice, therefore id say its pretty effective. as for replacing the macro every 2 weeks or so, thats unnecessary. all someone has to do is trim the macro back every few weeks. thats it.
if the phosphates and nitrates are that far off the charts
macro's are basically useless as they can only do so much ,they would take forever just to catch up and ex-orb all the excess nitrates and phosphates , remember they are not a miracle worker
macro's yes act like a sponge but with readings that high they would need to be changed out constantly as they are only able to ex-orb so much , macro's in no way are a quick fix they will help keep the nitrates and phosphates stable and under control , waiting till it gets to the point where it gets out of control macro's wont help much, this is where big water changes are needed to bring them down to a safe level , now once the tank is stable again yes macro's will help keep things in check , but it's up to you to change and replace them every so often , remember not all macro's will act like a sponge and some will ex-orb more than others , just like some macro's are good for certain things others can be harmful
I've been playing with macro's almost 2 years now and learned a lot about the benefits of macro's and also the down falls of macro's ,
Marine Plants In The Aquarium: An online guide to the identification and care of marine plants and macroalgae in the aquarium.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Just a note to clarify this...Two 50% changes will not eliminate your nitrate/phosphates. For example, if your nitrate was 20ppm initially, after the first change, it drops to 10, then to 5 after the 2nd change (a 75% reduction). It's not 0, but it's a heckuva lot better than 20.
yes 2 50% wc wont bring it down 100% but it will bring it to a safe level where you can get it under control
also yes if you take a reading right after you do changes they will still be off the charts , wait 8 hrs than test you will be surprised how much they drop
Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #20
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Some folks grow macro algaes in their reef displays that are as pretty as many corals. I'm going to start one of those soon.
like Greg said some grow macro's in tank here was my 40b before I tore it down to step up to my 90g
in time I want my 90g to look like this once again ,

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com