Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
G The algae that grow in the algae scrubber can then be removed, or fed back to the livestock.

Algae scrubbers are used in both saltwater and freshwater, and remove nuisance algae of multiple types: cyano or slime, bubble, hair, Chaetomorpha, Caulerpa, and film algae, as well as dinoflagellates and Aiptasia.

Also: I started 25 years ago using this guys knowledge, Dr. Walter Addy, it's working today:

The Dynamic Aquarium, algae turf scrubbing
So, this article says you don't have to remove it. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't feeding it back to the fish blow the "pruning to remove nutrients" idea out of the water?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
So, this article says you don't have to remove it. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't feeding it back to the fish blow the "pruning to remove nutrients" idea out of the water?

I believe it depends on if feeding it back to the fish is in addition to what they are normally being fed or if it replaces some or most of it. If it is in addition to the normal feeding regime, then I think you are correct with the "nutrients staying in the system" idea.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The only benefit I can understand is free food.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

lots of water changes???

I think the article said that you could refeed some of the algae. But the main point was using it for export. While the growing algae keeps the DOCs locked up, you have to prune it to remove the DOCs permanently. Anything you recycle in the tank stays in the tank, but every time I throw out 5 pounds of algae, I am removing those nutrients from the water permanently.

You can remove DOC's by;

Water exchanges,
Physical removal like protein skimming,
Chemical binding agents like GFO,
or organic agents like algae and the live bacteria in rock.

Just how I do it...

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com