LOUD overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an overflow that hangs on the back of my tank. That is how the water gets down to my refug. It has a prefilter sponge right before the water goes down the tube.

However....some how, that darn sponge makes it SUPER LOUD!!! If I take the sponge out it is nice and quite. I would like to leave the sponge in, but I would also like to make it quite.

I rinse the sponge every other day with fresh water.

Please HELP

the reason why it is so loud is because the water depth at the point where it leaves the overflow is too shallow, if you increase this depth you will reduce the noise.

The actuall noise is air being drawn into the pipe, just like when you drain a bathtub for a while it is relatively quiet. Once that 'air tornado' forms you get that really loud noise.

If you can make it so that the pre filter is a bigger diameter, and that there is about a 1 inch clearance around the drain where there is nothing to impede the flow of the water.

Adjust your return flow so that it raises the level in the tank. ALWAYS stick around when doing this to make sure you don't flood. You are basically attempting to raise the level in the tank and therefore in the over flow enough to cover the intake as previously stated. The intake is sucking air and you need to cover with enough water (Again by increasing your return flow).

Back
Top Bottom