Loud Overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
My overflow box has a 1" bulkhead and I connected it to 3/4" PVC to my sump. The overflow box when operating is loud because the water cascades over the first chamber wall very fast and splashes. Is there any way to make this quiet? It's a clear for life overflow box.

Ditto - on the durso or stockman standpipe mod. Cheap and easy, and effective. Quieted mine down significantly.

If you use a sponge just make sure you periodically clean it - junk/detritus will accumulate in there.

I used a sponge first and then tried some bioballs. Now I have the standpipe and it is great. No forgetting to clean the sponge and or bioballs. Very Quiet too.

I thought about the sand pipe but the overflow box isn't big enough for me to make one...how wouldd I go about making one that fits?

go back to the durso webpage and click on "Popular Modification" and select "stockman standpipe". That is what you're looking for and will solve your problems.

Back
Top Bottom