Low alk in my nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
After switching from the API test kit to a Hanna checker, I've seen that the alk dropped from 8-9 (API) to about 6.9 (Hanna). I do weekly PWCs, and calcium is at 492 when I tested last week (Hanna checker). pH is approx 8.1-8.2.

Since this is a nano tank, what's the safest way to increase the alkalinity without crashing pH or precipitating calcium? I was thinking of baking some baking soda in the oven (400 degrees for an hour or so), and add a pinch to some tank water, then into a high flow area. I'm hoping not to have to do a regular dosing regime, since it is a smaller tank, but if needed, I can add some to the ATO reservoir.

I have a 29 gal nano and I use 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per gal of ro/di just to maintain the alkanity. You can increase the ratio a little bit to increase the alkalinity and then back to the regular ratio. No need to bake it and should be in ato.

If it was my tank I would do a larger than normal water change, wait about 24 hours and test again. If it's back in a normal range I would test it every day or every other day for 2 or 3 weeks and see if it's dropping a consistent amount each test and see how the wc's affect your levels, and then make a plan of action based on that be it dosing or increased wc's ( either volume or frequency)
Edit: make a log of it so it's easier to study/share on here

Point of clarification: those numbers were pre water change, which are done every 7 days.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fresh mixed water is 8.9.
Reading today, pre change- 5.9.

I will measure every day and see when it drops below 7.0.

Luckily, I'm an anal engineer and log everything :)

If you are dosing cal and not supplementing to raise alkalinity then that may explain your alkalinity is low after a week. Before raising alkalinity, first make sure mag is within acceptable level like 1300.

Are you dosing calcium? Your calc level is kinda high and that will cause Alk to lower unless you also raise mag.

Surface water agitation: I do have a HOB running Purigen, so the water is being agitated by the return there.

I am not dosing calcium. However, I am adding Prodibio BiOptim and BioDigest bi-weekly.

My calcium pre-change last night was 432. I will do a Ca, KH, and Mg test tonight to see how they track. The last Mg test I did was at 1560 (Salifert). This was about 2 weeks ago.

Re: corals- Duncans, frogspawn, torch, zoas, acans.

Just curious but does it say on the container what levels reef crystals mixes at? That stony load shouldn't be using up calc and alk that fast
Edit: you could probably stop with the additives too, your salt should have everything you need right now

I will test some mixed/aerated water as well as the tank water tonight. Although, the fresh mixed stuff last night (after aerating for 12hrs) was only at 8.9.

Also, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, "we" should put more stock in the Hanna results than the API results, I'm guessing. Have others checked the accuracy of the Hanna results as compared to others?

I'd rather not buy a 3rd test kit as a tie breaker, but...

My Mg was sky high the last I checked it, but I don't know why it would be, as I'm not dosing anything.

I've used rscp for years and love it, I don't remember what the mag mixes at but I can test it when I get home I have to do a wc on one of the tanks tonight so I've got some mixing.

Back
Top Bottom