Low Alk, normal PH and Calcium! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
My calcium is at 450, PH is at 8.4, and my alk is on the low side. I don't have a number to give because it just shows it as low, normal or high because it is the redsea test kit. I know about getting a better test kit but this is what they had so don't tell me to get a better one. My question is is there a way to raise the alk without affecting the PH? I know that by increasing the alk, calcium will go down as well. I have b-ionic 2 part system as well as aragamilk, and seachem reef buffer. Will any of these fix my problem without messing up the PH? All I want to do is increase the alk.

Thanks,
Josh

Do a google search, but I found a sight for this(don't remember which one) that told about adding baking soda. One teaspoon per each 0.4 of alk you need to go up. Many people on this sight also say to check you magnesium but I have never been able to do that yet. I did one tsp in a glass of water twice a day for a couple of days and mine came up from less than 3 to 5 in a few days. I would probably try it twice and retest before doing it a third time. There are a lot of sights on this problem so a google would be the best second source of info after the advisors on this sight give you an answer.

Do a google search, but I found a sight for this(don't remember which one) that told about adding baking soda. One teaspoon per each 0.4 of alk you need to go up. Many people on this sight also say to check you magnesium but I have never been able to do that yet. I did one tsp in a glass of water twice a day for a couple of days and mine came up from less than 3 to 5 in a few days. I would probably try it twice and retest before doing it a third time. There are a lot of sights on this problem so a google would be the best second source of info after the advisors on this sight give you an answer. This is only my experience and others will differ.

Reef Buffer is what you want to use, especially if you already have it. Just follow the directions and raise it slowly over the course of a few days if necessary.

Won't the buffer change the pH? It seems that as the alkalinity changes the pH will change as you add the buffer.

Reef Buffer supposed to bring your PH up to 8.3 and help stabilize it. So if your PH is already there it shouldn't raise it.

Woah! first things first, slow down and don't panic. I would not add anything at all until you get a better test kit. When you look at the tank is there anything wrong? If not, don't go adding anything at all. Get a better test kit, then take a look.

B-ionic should be dosed as directed in equal parts. Additives can quickly cause serious issues and should be dosed with bated breath. The seachem Reef Buffer is a GARF staple and a fairly decent product with minimal changes to pH, but I have found that the results are temporary and constant monitoring are needed to keep the alk level from swinging to far. When is the last time you did a decent sized waterchange? What type of salt are you using? These should all be considered before dosing anything at all.

FWIW, IME Aragamilk should never be used...

R-

Back
Top Bottom