Low flow at the bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys does anyone have any tricks as to getting the flow of a tank to stir stuff off the bottom? My tank is fairly deep at 36" and and I'm running 3 korralia 1400's problem is I get awesome flow around the top and middle but nothing is stirring on the bottom and I can see lots of crud down there. I can't really point a power heads down because I have really fine sand and it will blow all over.

Hey Doug this is my 125g I'm talking about. I wouldn't say it's food just looks like well crud on the bottom. Is there any DIY contraption or something I can do to make some of my current hit the bottom? Like I said pointing my power heads down won't work because of my fine sand and my flow throughout the upper level is awesome

I feed only every other day and only 1 cube. I watch them eat and there really isn't much left when their done.

You could try aiming two powerheads at one another to make some flow random and it might sweep across the bottom if you get it right.

I forget the dimensions of this thing. If this is a 36" deep tank, you are going to need power head(s) down in the bottom third of the tank. There's no way around it.

Maybe try running you return pomp along the bottom of the tank modify an engines canes ter return tube lfs $8 they have a bunch of perforated holes in them that might give you just what you are looking for

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try running you return pomp along the bottom of the tank modify an engines canes ter return tube lfs $8 they have a bunch of perforated holes in them that might give u just what you are looking for
I wouldn't advise doing that. In the event of a power outage the return will back siphon until it reaches those perforations, or perhaps even further if they don't break the siphon. You'll empty your tank.

Kind of what I thought may happen Doug. Probably just go with more power heads you can never have too much flow eh?

I wouldn't advise doing that. In the event of a power outage the return will back siphon until it reaches those perforations, or perhaps even further if they don't break the siphon. You'll empty your tank.

True but it's an easy fix. All one has to do is install a check valve. Or depending on how this nozzle is built you could drill a hole at the top of the pipe as a syphon break.

Yes, but then you have to rely on a check valve in a salt water environment. They have been known to fail in salt tanks due to sponges and tube worms growing in the oddest places in the dark. The same goes for the drill hole- Stuff can grow over it and clog it enough so that it doesn't break siphon. It will have to be monitored periodically for this.

If anyone is considering putting a check valve in line, look for the one you can open and clean. They do make one like that.

This is what I have. Top and bottom screws off and it is clear, so you can see how things are looking inside.

image-3445639042.jpg

Would it be detritus? If so I also have the issue of it building up on my sand and am having trouble finding a solution.

Yes it is detritus and I have moved my stupid power heads everywhere. Hi, low, front, back and it's always the same 2 dead spots. I can't move my power heads too far down the tank it blows sand all over and if I aim to much towards the bottom it blows sand all over. Kind of at a loss on what to do

Might just have to hit it daily with a baster or if it's real bad 2x
Edit: just read the whole thing and realize tank is prob to deep for that sorry. Maybe a stick to swirl the water above it?

I have fine sand as well, and have my power heads low and then have them pointed up towards another one on the opposite side to create current. No sand picked up from it. Hope it helps.

Also just an opinion, if you have a lot of dietrus, you may be feeding too much or may not have a big enough cuc.

Back
Top Bottom