Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

low light anemonies

DO YOU HAVE ANY segestions ON LOW LIGHT anemones.......IVE HAD A FLOWER anemone ,curly q and 4 cody,FOR AWHILE NOW AND IT DOING REALLY WELL...WONDERING WHAT OTHER KINDS I MIGHT BE ABLE TO PUT IN MY TANK WITHOUT HAVING THE HIGH LIGHTING..PLEASE HELP ............come to fIND out my condy anemones need high lighting .even now pet store told me they didnt there still doing very well and are eating for me so im keeping my fingures crossed they dont dye(get alot of light threw windows was hoping that would help)......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5317.jpg (215.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5315.jpg (217.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5315_145.jpg (217.7 KB, 88 views)

Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I understand what you are saying on this one. Thee are a lot of things in the hobby that people feel that they can get away with when it comes to meeting the requirements of a creature. Just keep in mind that this is only short term. Anemones don't have an expiration, but yours will. It is our responsibility as hobbyist to provide based need and not just the minimum. Okay, I will get off my soap box now.

There are a lot of very affordable fixtures out there that will sustain these creatures in the long term. Try PC lighting: your animals will thank you for it in growth and color.

9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.......IN NO MEANS AM I TRYING TO depribe MY FISH OF ANYTHING...BUT FROM READING UP ON ANEMONES THERE ARE SOME TYPES THAT ARE SAID TO NOT NEED MUCH LIGHTING AND THATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT.....

AND WHAT IS PC LIGHTING....I HAVE BOUGHT SPECAIL CORAL LIGHTS 40W POWER GLO JUST NOT THE HIGHT LIGHTING(YET)
JUST RECEIVED TANK 2 MONTHS AGO FROM AUNT.......
Old 07-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

PC = power compact ... great lighting half the price of Metal Halide!

Look at www.hellolights.com for some good prices on lighting!

ps- try not to type in all caps!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want any anemone your pretty much going to need a good bit of Power Compact lighting.

In the mean time, feed the condy..... that won't keep it alive forever, but it will lessen the stress for the little guy....
Old 07-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see the anemone is HIGH in the tank... My bet would be its trying to get as close to those lights as possible to get what it requires to live.
This is not a cheap hobby and if you want to do things right for the creatures we keep we need to spend some $$$. Don't buy another anomone save the money and get some better lighting if all you have are NO bulbs.
How long have you had that anemone?
Why are you YELLING!!

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

so sorry had my caps on didnt even realize this,well ive had the tank for about two months now...so thats how long ive had the condy anemones....pet store owner told me i didnt need high lighting for them...if so i never would have purchased them....even called him back after finding out different but he ensured me they would be fine.....ill take the advice and get some new lighting.....

thanks for all the impute
Old 07-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
WAAAAAAAAAAIT May I jump in here fast. You say you've had the tank for two months and had the condy's the same period of time. PLEASE tell me your are saying the tank has been cycled for 2 months and not that you cycled the tank WITH the aneome in it? Even if the tank was cycled for 2 months thats still not enough time IMO to be keeping an aneome I would recommend bringing it back to the LFS, reading up on this hobby and taking advise from someone other than the person who told you keeping an aneome in NO lighting would cut it.
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
Also a word to the wise. Sunlight through a window will cause you more problems than benefits. You will start seeing algae growth from the direct sunlight on the tank.
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

not to mension the cc starfish in the tank cc + corals =

Tags
light, low light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com