Low Light Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hardridge said:
Sun coral

Good call Hardridge! Didn't think of that one.
Sun coral though will require target feeding at least every other day with Mysis, or something similar. They are non-photosynthetic and get their nourishment from direct feeding.

Yes, my coraline algae is spreading pretty fast. Downfall to this is my sand is somewhat turning purple from all the little rocks. I would live to get some mushrooms and zooanthids

Um, are you sure you aren't having a cyano outbreak? In terms of low light corals, check out almost any soft coral.

I would post a pic of this so called coralline algae. It could easily be cyano. Coralline doesn't spread very fast at all.

Carnation corals like low light. But they also need high currents. I've heard they are hard to keep. I've had mine for about a week and he has adjusted well.

crister13 said:
I would post a pic of this so called coralline algae. It could easily be cyano. Coralline doesn't spread very fast at all.

I know what coralline and cyano look like. I have coralline, and my sand bed is white, no red or nasty looking color. I haven't yet purchased any coral bc I don't want risking any. Does anyone know if I would be able to keep green star polyps?

image-3225746437.jpg

image-191840563.jpg

Thanks! So I'm guessing some mushrooms. Green star polyps, and zooanthids.

Jake337 said:
Thanks! So I'm guessing some mushrooms. Green star polyps, and zooanthids.

Hi jake,

I would agree with the above list. Just speaking from experience, for several months i ran a cruddy 2 bulb power compact over my 29 gallon tank, which is roughly 19" tall. IN my honest opinion, certain LPS might (emphasis on the might) work out. I kept a frogspawn under those lights and it was and is still doing well. I also kept a Toadstool. Just place the disputed corals closer to the lights, and make sure you have good bulbs!

Goodluck man!!

Gboy66 said:
Hi jake,

I would agree with the above list. Just speaking from experience, for several months i ran a cruddy 2 bulb power compact over my 29 gallon tank, which is roughly 19" tall. IN my honest opinion, certain LPS might (emphasis on the might) work out. I kept a frogspawn under those lights and it was and is still doing well. I also kept a Toadstool. Just place the disputed corals closer to the lights, and make sure you have good bulbs!

Goodluck man!!

Thanks for the advice!! Really appreciate it. I've always wanted to get some corals for my tank but wouldn't want to risky them dying and wasting money.

No problem! Thats why you go for some small frags. In the beginning, just get a shroom or two, a small zoa frag, and maybe a head of frogspawn. So, you wont waste much money, and if they thrive, save up for some bigger corals! Could we get a FTS perhaps..? :D

Ha yeah! Also I hav a question on the frags, do you leave yours on the plug? If so how do u place them in the tank

Jake337 said:
Ha yeah! Also I hav a question on the frags, do you leave yours on the plug? If so how do u place them in the tank

Yeah, i do. I hate frags though, so i usually get the corals fragged onto rock rubble if i can. If not, yeah i just keep them on frag plugs, it would be a hassle for me and bad for the coral to take them off.

The macro rock that i have has lots of holes and crevices. I usually stick the plug in one of those..or keep it on the sandbed and just bury the plug. Tank shots?

Oh alright. Yeah if you could that would be great!

Gboy66 said:
Hahaha! I meant i want a pic of YOUR tank! But here ya go..

Haha I'll try posting one on here. It's still pretty new. Like 4 months old.

Gboy66 said:
Hahaha! I meant i want a pic of YOUR tank! But here ya go..

I just found out that your jacks twin hah. Was wondering why that pic of your tank looked familiar haha.

Back
Top Bottom