Low Light Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning on buying some corals for my 55 gal tank. I only have t5 lighting, not the strongest. I know that corals such as mushroom don't need much light. Can anyone post a list of corals that can maintain low light?

Mushrooms Kenya trees Xenia are a few lower light corals gorgonians are non photo synthetic online sites that sell Coral will let you know how much light a coral needs

What kind of light do you have because depending on the fixture and how many bulbs you could keep anything including sps

Thanks for the info. Yeah I wanted to get some xeina but I wasn't sure if thy needed a lot of light

Just because you have T5, does not mean you only have low light. It depends on how many T5's, what wattage they are, and how deep the tank is.

My tanks 20in deep. I made a thread awhile ago questioning f my t5 were high output or not. I just always thought my lights were too weak for coral.

Yeah, on a 55, that is pretty low light.
I just didn't want you to limit yourself because you thought T5's weren't powerful enough for corals.

Yeah, I mean light IMO is the most expensive thing to purchase in the hobby. I don't have that kind of money to spend 100+ on lights.

With that amount of light, mushrooms would be your safest bet.
There are some pretty awesome shrooms out there, you can make a really nice looking setup with a bunch of different mushrooms!
Best of luck! :)

Thanks! Yeah I'm probably going to get some this weekend!

Anyone else know of any corals that can maintain lower light.

Zoanthids would be rockin under your lights. You may even want to try a toadstool leather and a trumpet coral placed in the highest spot you have. I'm betting it'll be fine if your tank is well filtered and your parameters are good. Are you growing a healthy crop of coralline? Nitrates under control?

Yes, my coraline algae is spreading pretty fast. Downfall to this is my sand is somewhat turning purple from all the little rocks. I would live to get some mushrooms and zooanthids

Still curious.. Anyone know any low light corals that may stay under my 2 bulb t5 light fixture? 55 gallon, 20 inch deep?

Did you try getting any of the ones already recommended to you are were you wanting to keep something specific?

Back
Top Bottom