Low Light Corals or Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 45 gallon tank that has been setup for about 14 weeks. It is an eclipse system with the filter built in the hood, it also has only standard fluorescent lighting. It is a fish only setup now but I would like to add some coral or plants for decoration. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

can I have shrooms and bubble corals with the lighting that I have currently?

What's the wattage of ur lightning system? If i remember correctly, shrooms almost don't need light at all. They come from the deep where there's just little sunlight down there.

OK FF I am going to go get afilter. SharkMan: You can not keep those corals under NO lights. Bubble corals are not low light. Mushrooms are not either. Most mushrooms require moderate light. A sun polyp is the only thing I would recommend with your lights. There are other low light corals but they are hard to keep alive without constant care. ( sun polyp needs to be target fed once/twice a week) so they are not completely "care free"

Brenden said:
OK FF I am going to go get afilter. SharkMan: You can not keep those corals under NO lights. Bubble corals are not low light. Mushrooms are not either. Most mushrooms require moderate light. A sun polyp is the only thing I would recommend with your lights. There are other low light corals but they are hard to keep alive without constant care. ( sun polyp needs to be target fed once/twice a week) so they are not completely "care free"
What? What does afilter have to do with this? I said what i know and just trying to help. In one book, it said "A well lid tank like this is ideal for growth of murshroom anemones" then it shows a picture of a dark tank with barely little light. I wish i still have that book so i could scan that page to show you. Also, i found this link about murshrooms:

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/blue-mushrooms---actinodiscus-species-corals--mushrooms---polyps.html

My dad's friend also have a 5G nano with a tiny light on the top. It has many dif. types of shrooms growing in there.

About bubbles, i've read somewhere that it's one of the few stonies that require lower light.

Well, say, if mayb i said something wrong, u could just tell me that im wrong. U don't have to be like "ima tell on u" :( Im just looking around in forum and try to give out as much help as i can...

FF: No one is telling on you. The link you provided does say low light but you can also find web sites that tell you to put a regal in a 20 gallon tank. Right beside the "low light" it is says.
Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within this organism
Which means it needs light and photosynthesis to make food so it can survive. I have seen the 5 gal nano's you are referring to. Ever thought that the light only has 6" of water to penetrate? If you have seen one that has been up for a while the mushrooms will still stretch themselves out until they look like a funnel trying to get as much light as it can. Bottom line do you want the corals to barely "survive" or "thrive" Mushrooms do have lower light requirements than most other corals but NO lights on a 45 gallon is pushing it.

:) :) :)

You guys are killing me...take a day off and come back to this. J/K :lol:

Brenden is right on as these are not low light corals. Conventional wisdom is that low-med light corals still require 2-3+ wpg of good light.

As for different information on the web and in print you always need to check more than one source and what is the motivator of the source (i.e. are they trying to sell you something) and then go with the majority opinion.

For all you know I am some wack job that just likes to give advice willy nilly and have no idea what I am talking about. A few years ago you would have been right on when it comes to SW. Then again I would not be offering advice on something I a just learning about myself (hmm hmm, Real FF) :wink:

SharkMan, what kind of 45g do you have? If it is the traditional All glass tall you are going to stuggle with some corals due to the depth of that style tank. Not to say it cannot be done, but even if you do get 3+ WPG (ideally 4-6wpg) of lighting realize it will be diminished by the time it gets to the bottom and position corals appropriately.

Eclipse are nice, but not the ideal style lighting/filtration for a SW setup let alone reef. Do you currently have any additional filtration?

What do you ultimately want to do?

:( Got ownt hehe. Alright i was wrong yet... again. O well sorry for the bad advice

Mayb i should start some sort of alliance, mayb a clan with someone to side with me

JK :)

o yea, as for giving out advices, im looking at this forum about 2-3 hours a day now day so... if i see strange questions that i can give an answer to... i tend to give advices anyway. Hey most of them are right! :roll: If im wrong, feel free to correct me but in good ways :?

Don't mess with me or u mess with the reefnuts' clan! :lol:

RealFF that is what we are all here for. As long as the correct info gets out no harm done. At least you are trying. (y)

Mayb i should start some sort of alliance, mayb a clan with someone to side with me

Good idea. I hereby anoint thee "SIR SLINKY"

I have a long 45 gallon. I think it is 42"Lx18"Hx12D. No other filtration just the two bio wheels and a power head to move some water around. I just got my water tested today and my water quality was perfect. I do 25% water changes every two weeks and change the charcoal pad at the same time. I originally bought the tank as a fish only setup and have been getting more and more into reef tanks. I will someday be getting a larger tank for a reef setup. I am not afraid of more work. is the sun polyp an option? Thanks, didn't mean to stir you guys up at all.

Can you better describe your tank to include: inhabitants, LR, type of lighting(you may want to update the My Info section so it is on file). The tank you describe has potential based on dimensions. Will need to look at different filtration and adding a skimmer which may or may not be possible if you keep the eclipse hood. The eclipse system can work well for a lightly stocked FOWLR system.

Not sure on the sun polyps as I have never kept them.

thanks guys for all of the help! looks like I will be waiting until I can get a larger tank and a more sophisticated filtration system so i can have my reef tank someday.

Just to clarify tank size isn’t the issue, it’s the type of lighting you have. As for filtration upgrades a quality skimmer and keeping your canister clean is all that’s needed to maintain your no3 below 10 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom