Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

The issue could also be due to your glass top. I also have a glass top, as I have a crazy wrasse. I Have a large power head providing surface agitation, I perform pwc weekly, and I still have PH issues. I am planning to replace the glass top with mesh in the near future. I believe the PH swing cost me my Kole.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

This speaks to my newbie side. I had these strips from my previous freshwater tank and didn't know strips expired. Sounds like mine expired a year and a half ago! That has to be what's going on.

Makes me wonder if my tank was fully cycled when I thought it was... Lesson learned!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson417 View Post
The issue could also be due to your glass top. I also have a glass top, as I have a crazy wrasse. I Have a large power head providing surface agitation, I perform pwc weekly, and I still have PH issues. I am planning to replace the glass top with mesh in the near future. I believe the PH swing cost me my Kole.
+1 the glass top could be your problem. I had a glass top for 8 months with constant ph problems. I in the past month switched to a screen top and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schgred View Post
This speaks to my newbie side. I had these strips from my previous freshwater tank and didn't know strips expired. Sounds like mine expired a year and a half ago! That has to be what's going on.

Makes me wonder if my tank was fully cycled when I thought it was... Lesson learned!
Aside from that...your fresh water test kit should not be used for salt water test.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

also look check your kh calcium and mag levels they all affect one and other
Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

The test strips are said to be for both freshwater and saltwater. That being said ill be buying a new reef test kit ASAP.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Ditch the glass top for a mesh one (parts available on BRS). You don't have enough live stock for a biological cause to your low ph. Dead fish or corals can acidify the water and cause ph to drop, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. New test kit, open top and some water changes should be all you need.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schgred
I have a relatively new 37 gallon reef tank (been cycled for 3 weeks) that I am getting low ph readings of about 7.4 (ph tested by simple dip strips). I plan to pick up the API reef test kit. I realize that there are plenty of opinions about my filtration and lighting but this is what I am able to have for now.

Here is my setup:
37 gallon tank
40 pounds of live rock
Marineland reef capable led
Emperor 280 HOB filter (I plan to put some general filter floss in for mechanical filtration and then add some chemi pure elite)
Seaclone protein skimmer 100
Glass Top

Inhabitants
- 4 hermit crabs
- 1 emerald crab
- 3 nassarius snails

I use instant ocean reef crystals for salt and am now using RO/DI water for water changes. I started with tap water but plan on only using RO/DI from here on out.

Is it common to have a low ph at this stage? I have tried removing part of the glass top to see if that helps. Should I use something like KENT superbuffer dkh or even baking soda? Or can I expect it to increase on its own when I add fish? Any thoughts are helpful! Thanks!
What worked for me is go to your local pet store and buy saltwater buffer it will work as soon as you put it in the tank
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Make sure your powerheads are agitating the surface and yes get rid of the glass tops and get screen DIY kit from Bulkreefsupply for better gas exchange
Old 06-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I have had the top off for close to a week and tested the ph with a liquid test kit and the ph is great! 8.2. I may try putting the top back on for a bit and monitor the ph. The evaporation is pretty crazy!

Tags
low ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com