Low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schgred

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a relatively new 37 gallon reef tank (been cycled for 3 weeks) that I am getting low ph readings of about 7.4 (ph tested by simple dip strips). I plan to pick up the API reef test kit. I realize that there are plenty of opinions about my filtration and lighting but this is what I am able to have for now.

Here is my setup:
37 gallon tank
40 pounds of live rock
Marineland reef capable led
Emperor 280 HOB filter (I plan to put some general filter floss in for mechanical filtration and then add some chemi pure elite)
Seaclone protein skimmer 100
Glass Top

Inhabitants
- 4 hermit crabs
- 1 emerald crab
- 3 nassarius snails

I use instant ocean reef crystals for salt and am now using RO/DI water for water changes. I started with tap water but plan on only using RO/DI from here on out.

Is it common to have a low ph at this stage? I have tried removing part of the glass top to see if that helps. Should I use something like KENT superbuffer dkh or even baking soda? Or can I expect it to increase on its own when I add fish? Any thoughts are helpful! Thanks!

Aeration can help increase PH. Use power head to have surface agitation and it will gradually go up. I have similar problem before. No need for any kind of dosing as long as you do partial water change regularly.

I forgot to add that I'm running a maxi jet 750 to circulate water.

Shouldn't there be plenty of surface agitation with the HOB filter and HOB protein skimmer?

My powerhead isn't pointed up at the surface. I could redirect that powerhead.

If the HOB skimmer and filter are adequate why is the ph low in the first place? Could it be the glass top or is this somewhat typical for this stage?

I was assuming your power head was already agitating the surface. You might need another one for circulation at the other end submerged. I use a mini fan pointed at the surface where my power head agitating the water and it did help increase my PH.

I would suspect the test strips as well. Get a liquid test kit before going too far on fixing what may not be broken.

Yeah I just read online of an example of someone testing his water with strips and liquid the liquid ph was 8.2 an the test strip was 7.2. I'm assuming its the strips as well. Thanks for the help!!

The issue could also be due to your glass top. I also have a glass top, as I have a crazy wrasse. I Have a large power head providing surface agitation, I perform pwc weekly, and I still have PH issues. I am planning to replace the glass top with mesh in the near future. I believe the PH swing cost me my Kole.

This speaks to my newbie side. I had these strips from my previous freshwater tank and didn't know strips expired. Sounds like mine expired a year and a half ago! That has to be what's going on.

Makes me wonder if my tank was fully cycled when I thought it was... Lesson learned!

The issue could also be due to your glass top. I also have a glass top, as I have a crazy wrasse. I Have a large power head providing surface agitation, I perform pwc weekly, and I still have PH issues. I am planning to replace the glass top with mesh in the near future. I believe the PH swing cost me my Kole.

+1 the glass top could be your problem. I had a glass top for 8 months with constant ph problems. I in the past month switched to a screen top and haven't had a problem since.

This speaks to my newbie side. I had these strips from my previous freshwater tank and didn't know strips expired. Sounds like mine expired a year and a half ago! That has to be what's going on.

Makes me wonder if my tank was fully cycled when I thought it was... Lesson learned!
Aside from that...your fresh water test kit should not be used for salt water test.

also look check your kh calcium and mag levels they all affect one and other

The test strips are said to be for both freshwater and saltwater. That being said ill be buying a new reef test kit ASAP.

Ditch the glass top for a mesh one (parts available on BRS). You don't have enough live stock for a biological cause to your low ph. Dead fish or corals can acidify the water and cause ph to drop, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. New test kit, open top and some water changes should be all you need.

Schgred said:
I have a relatively new 37 gallon reef tank (been cycled for 3 weeks) that I am getting low ph readings of about 7.4 (ph tested by simple dip strips). I plan to pick up the API reef test kit. I realize that there are plenty of opinions about my filtration and lighting but this is what I am able to have for now.

Here is my setup:
37 gallon tank
40 pounds of live rock
Marineland reef capable led
Emperor 280 HOB filter (I plan to put some general filter floss in for mechanical filtration and then add some chemi pure elite)
Seaclone protein skimmer 100
Glass Top

Inhabitants
- 4 hermit crabs
- 1 emerald crab
- 3 nassarius snails

I use instant ocean reef crystals for salt and am now using RO/DI water for water changes. I started with tap water but plan on only using RO/DI from here on out.

Is it common to have a low ph at this stage? I have tried removing part of the glass top to see if that helps. Should I use something like KENT superbuffer dkh or even baking soda? Or can I expect it to increase on its own when I add fish? Any thoughts are helpful! Thanks!

What worked for me is go to your local pet store and buy saltwater buffer it will work as soon as you put it in the tank

Make sure your powerheads are agitating the surface and yes get rid of the glass tops and get screen DIY kit from Bulkreefsupply for better gas exchange

Well I have had the top off for close to a week and tested the ph with a liquid test kit and the ph is great! 8.2. I may try putting the top back on for a bit and monitor the ph. The evaporation is pretty crazy!

Back
Top Bottom