Low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guy554

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having issues with my Ph dropping. The tank has been up and running for almost a month. A buddy of mine and myself have the same set up and we use the same RO water, but his ph is normal and mine is around 7.8-8. What is going on with my tank and why is his tank just fine? What's the best way to fix the issue? My LFS told me to run a Buffer. Everything I read is not to add stuff like that to your tank. Chemical free tank is a happy tank. Correct?

Youre correct, dont be adding things to the tank unless you really need to. I ran my 125g at about 8.0 for a couple years and it is much better that it is constant than if it dips and goes up. Stability is everything in saltwater.

You can set up two tanks side-by-side, with everything being the same....rock source, water, salt mix, lights, etc, and they will almost always turn out biologically different.
And you were correct in not adding anything..... a stable tank is a happy tank. A pH of 8.0 is a little lower than normal, but not bad. Using buffers & bouncing the pH up & down could be detrimental.

The pH will normally vary depending on what time of day you take your readings. It gradually goes down to about - 0.1 at night 1 hr after the lights are off and goes up during the day after 1 hr the lights are on. I'm not sure about others but mine fluctuates between 8.4 and 8.2 with alk of 10dkH

Back
Top Bottom