Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Low ph

I having trouble getting my ph level above 8.0 . All the other water paramaters look ok I think . The Nitrate is 20, Nitrite is 0 , Amonia is 0 and alkalinity is 180. What can I do to raise the ph a little?

Old 02-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Point a powerhead at the surface of the water. Having more oxygen into the water column helps with ph. This being said, ph levels will normally be lower in the winter months due to our homes being shut up and heaters running. This level also fluctuates during the day.
My normal suggestion to people who have 'ph issues' is to not do anything besides bring more oxygen into the water column. There are ph buffers out there, but when chasing this magical perfect number of ph we more than often cause more issues! Your system will find a spot where everything is happy in terms of ph. As long as nothing is being dosed into the tank, everything will be just fine as long as there is oxygen going in, co2 going out, and weekly water changes to replace essential elements and lower nitrates.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Ok thanks. Also my tank has the hoods for the light fixture should I leave those open at all times for fresh air to get in there?
Old 02-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That would be one way of doing it.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

PH of 7.9 seems of... Mine was at 7.8 without any issue with corals...
Old 02-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
PH of 7.9 seems of... Mine was at 7.8 without any issue with corals...
Agreed. I don't think I have ever seen the 'perfect' ph number that people chase. Chasing the perfect ph and dosing things to get such usually ends up to larger issues in our closed systems.
But in this case, what effects ph? Oxygen in and Co2 out. Opening the lid on a bio/nano cube or removing glass panels will help with this and stability of such.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #7

I opened the lids on the aquarium and moved power head and nothing changed . I have a fish only aquarium my ph has been staying around 7.8 no matter what time of day or night I check it. I ordered somthing called proper ph 8.2 that says it will maintain a 8.2 ph level . Should I use it or leave well enough alone ? Im just getting into this so all this is a learning experiance for me. I thank all of you for you help.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://homeaquaria.com/increase-aquarium-ph-naturally/
Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Shelton View Post
I opened the lids on the aquarium and moved power head and nothing changed . I have a fish only aquarium my ph has been staying around 7.8 no matter what time of day or night I check it. I ordered somthing called proper ph 8.2 that says it will maintain a 8.2 ph level . Should I use it or leave well enough alone ? Im just getting into this so all this is a learning experiance for me. I thank all of you for you help.
Don't dose your tank to meet perfect ph. It always leads to issues. If your tank is sitting at 7.8, then it is at 7.8. It won't cause any issues.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #10

I have 45 lbs of crushed coral and 50 lbs of live rock in my aquarium thats 55 gallon. I have 1 powerhead thats 500 gph and a aqueon 75 filter system. Do I need more water flow?

Tags
low ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com