Low pH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Welcome to my world :)

I cant get my PH above 8.1, it drives me nuts.

Do brighter lights make the PH go up? I upgraded yesterday and I hope it will go up.

Anyways, dont know whats wrong, just wanted to let you know you arent the only one.

zacdl said:
Do brighter lights make the PH go up? I upgraded yesterday and I hope it will go up..
Not really, lighting does affect pH but not directly. Algaes much like common house plants expell O2 during the day and CO2 at night. It's the algaes that affect the pH, not the lighting. O2 produced by the algaes throughout the day help bolster the pH. CO2 produced at night after lights out suppress the natural pH.

The pH values can fluctuate anywhere from 7.8-7.9 before lights on gaining to 8.4-8.5 just before the end of the photoperiod.

Cheers
Steve

Well I wish I could get my PH up without chemicals but it wont be possible?

Zac, in future please start your own threads. Hijacking another members posts to solve your issues is not proper forum etiquette :wink:

Well I wish I could get my PH up without chemicals but it wont be possible?
Please describe your tank in a bit more detail. How old the set up is, any chemistry values you have (alk/Ca), tank maintenance and overall equipment/tank set up.

More commonly low pH is the result of environmental factors not chemical. As long as the alkalinity is within NSW values (1.5-3 mEq/l), the pH should fall into line. Excess bioload/feedings, poor aeration and trapped CO2 will be the most common causes. Given you have animals in the tank I am assuming the tank is properly cycled. Cycling tanks are notorious for chemical issues.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom