Low ph and high alk???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some answers to this. We have a 180g reef tank and are having issues keeping the ph up. The ph fluctuates between 7.8 - 8.2. My husband is trying to keep it higher at 8.4. However, when I test the alk, it's running in the "high" range of the red sea kit. We just did a 30g water change the other day, but nothing seems to make the alk go down. Also, we live in south Florida, so we have all the windows closed all the time. is this something to worry about?? Our fish seem to be doing well, as well as the nemes and corals we have. The corals are a few mushrooms and I just got a sun polyp and Pom Pom frag today.

Also, noticed green coralline starting to grow on the glass.

Ammonia, trates, and trites are all 0.

Live stock fish include

Porky puffer
Niger trigger
Mated false percula pair
Mated squareback Anthia pair
Chocolate tang
3 yellow chromis
Bullet goby
Pink spotted goby
6 line wrasse - new
Cherub Pygmy angel - new
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
Hermit crabs -red, electric blue, and Cortez
Snails - turbo, astria, and nassarius
Horseshoe crab
2sand sifting starfish

Please help if you can or if we are worrying for nothing, that would be great.

Thanks, Paula.

I think you may be worrying just a bit. Keep your alk in the 10-12 dKh range. Also check the alk on your starting water.

No need to be at 8.4 natural seawater ranges from 8.0-8.2. Open some windows, depressed ph is manly caused by high carbon dioxide levels. Open the windows to get fresh O2 in the house. Only need to be open for a bit. Maybe an 30-60 mins just to reduce co2 buildup and get fresh o2 in. a powerhead pointed at the surface to agitate helps too.

Also to minimize the day night swing you can setup a refugium having the refugium light come on when your display lights go off can minimize ph swings somewhat.

I know its hot in florida lol so opening the windows late at night for a bit will probably work better for your cooling bill

Thanks! I opened the window yesterday for a bit after the rain when it was a bit cooler. Also, my alk test is showing about 3.6- 4.0 /l. If we are supposed to be 10-12, it's only slightly elevated. One of out Lfs said it was crazy high...which from what you are saying and what I have been reading, may not be entirely true.

Thanks, again!

Paula

The title of your thread threw me a bit. Your pH isn't too low and your alk isn't too high. :)
7.8 pH is on the low side of the range, but it is acceptable. 8.2 is just about perfect.
3.6-4 meq\l = 10.8-11.2 dKH. That's a little higher than I like to keep mine (8-9 dKH), but it is definitely acceptable.

This might help you a bit.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"I suggest that aquarists maintain alkalinity between about 2.5 and 4 meq/L (7-11 dKH, 125-200 ppm CaCO[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE] equivalents)..."
"the pH range from 7.8 to 8.5 is an acceptable range for reef aquaria..."

No not supposed to 10-12 thats just what i was suggesting. Normal alk range is about 7-11

Back
Top Bottom