lower light sps corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i have the 72" aquatic life kight with 8 t5 ho 39 wat bulbs tank is standard 125 gal tank 6 ft i keep lps zoas and softies i dont like sps corals but my gf wants me to get one or two so i am lookin for some lower light sps.

...i dont like sps corals but my gf wants me to get one or two ...

Cool! So she's buying, right?... ;)

I've had good luck with Stylophora, Seriatopora (birdsnest), and Turbinaria in my tank with moderate lighting. Even though these SPS are very tolerant of less lighting than say Acropora, you're still going to want to place them high in the tank to let them soak up as much as they can.

na she is not buying and neither am i at the moment lol wat type of prices could i expect for a small frag of each mainly the first and last one. i like the first the most.

All depends on the shop, and if it's local versus online. Should be able to pick up a little frag of Stylophora for $30-40 or so from a LFS. Maybe less depending on if it's a commercially raised one versus something another customer brought in for credit. Turbinaria will really vary depending on the species and the colors. Think I paid something like $70 or $80 for mine (less shipping) from LiveAquaria when I bought it.

Here is was then (18 months ago):

img_1063881_0_9d559cf6a6d79e7df43a725b7ec42f20.jpg

Here it is now - the "flat" part in the bottom of the "cup" is the original colony:

img_1063881_1_05a07e5677e48889ba62ada0618cf9df.jpg

Any of the montipora.sp would do fine. They are a lower light SPS and don't like really high intensity lighting.

Back
Top Bottom