Lowering Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been cycled for a few weeks now, but for nitrates which are still hovering between 5 and 10 ppm. I have done two water changes over the past three weeks, but the "trates haven't gone down. I have no livestock in the tank yet besides my 40lbs of LR and a few hitchhikers. I'm hoping to get my cleaner crew within a few days and I have been dosing Turbo Calcium to try to raise my Ca. Alk is about 11dKH, Ca up to 335ppm (long way to go - I thought a gradual increase would be best, but feel free to tell me I can add like 10tsp at once). Not sure if any of this is relevent, but I figure I'd give all the specs.

How can I lower my Nitrates, short of adding a fuge with macroalgae (I have a little Caulerpa growing here and there on the LR, though I ripped out like 90% of it on the advice of AA)? Will my cleaners help? Do I need more LR?

TIA

If your having difficulty raising the CA, check your mg levles, if it is low, you will not be able to maintain CA in solution. If the mg is fine, I see no problem adding enough turbo CA to about a quart of water to raise your CA to the proper level and then adding that for evaporation. If still must be dosed slowly, over the course of a day or so (otherwise it will deplete the ALK) but it can be sped up a bit.

Hitchhikers are some small snails, maybe margaritas, and a three odd polyps, maybe buttons.

Mg - the one kit I don't have. I will be sure to ock one up in my next purchase. Ca has gone up from 300 to 335 in 4 days with me adding about 1.5 tsp per day to my tank, so hopefully Mg is ok, even without me testing.

I have some sponges in my Fluval for mechanical filtration I have cleaned them with RO water once, wehn I replaced the carbon in the baskets. Is it possible these are causing higher Nitrates? Should I remove them?

Back
Top Bottom