Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lowering nitrates

Will getting a cleaning crew for my tank help to lower the rate of nitrate accumulation or just add to it?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
It will help lower the accumulation of nitrate. It will not lower the nitrate that is already present. By eating detritus and removing that which causes nitrate they will in effect slow the rate of nitrate accumulation. Shrimp do the same thing.
LR will help reduce nitrate by reducing it to harmless gas. The low oxygen regions deep within LR contain the anaerobic bacteria necessary to breakdown nitrate. By getting a good cleanup crew and a sufficient amount of LR your nitrate will be zero.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of clean up crew should I get for a 210 gal fish only tank. So far I have a Passer Angel, Yellow Tang, Foxface Rabbitfish, 3 Damsels, Longnose Hawkfish, and a Royal Gramma. Will any of these bother a shrimp?
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 05-17-2004, 01:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great Avatar!! Great Signature!! Sorry off the subject. :P
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #6

The hawkfish may very well eat some shrimp. Depending on his size. As far as a cleanup reccomendation I would go with nassarius snails. Then some red leg reef hermits, which will also eat algae. IME they were very calm, and didn't kill my snails. They were however killed by my stone crabs that till this die im still trying to roundem all up for the blender. Anyways nassarius snails are great scavengers, and don't eat algae but eat dead material. So they will hastily eat any uneaten food, and supposidly they eat fish waste. I think 200-500 snails, and 20 red leg reef hermits will get the job done.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I don't think a longnose will eat shrimp - maybe tiny ones. I would get the snails and get about a dozen peppermint and 3 or 4 skunk cleaners. Make sure your sand bed is WELL populated with worms. The worms will quickly dispose of uneaten food and detritus. The shrimp will also clean up and eliminate the source of nitrate. You can get a few shrimp at first and see if they are safe. Pepps are cheap enuf to experiment with.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!!

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com