Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
lowering ph in salt water without worrying about fish

hey how would you lower ph without having to worry about anything alive absolutely nothing.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Where is your pH now? Remember stability is better than trying to keep the "perfect" number.
It will also decline after lights out and rise after lights on....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i dont want to do a water change cant afford to its just in a tub that i am soaking some rocks in but i used this water a while back to soak my rocks in but i had to take them back out because they made it jump up around 9.0 or higher off the scale but i want to use this saltwater to soak them again so i can check the ph i dont have anyway of checking it ouside in freshwater.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

If this is in a cycling or liverock curing situation, don't worry at all about pH. It will swing like crazy. You need to watch ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Don't try to alter the pH.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well its a diy live rock station i am trying to make sure i have leached the rock good enough its been a month and a half i just cant check the ph of the rock if its in freshwater
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can with a different test kit. Still, I would not try to alter it if you're trying to cure the DIY. Just change out water.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ok, I just reread it your question. You can lower it by covering the top or having less surface agitation. There may be something in your DIY mixture that is buffering it. I will have to let the "chemists" help you with that part...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or changing water... If I'm not mistaken (And I definitely could be), the object is to cure the DIY rock and reach the point where it won't significantly affect your tank parameters. Right? Sorry. The OP is kinda hard to read / understand.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea i need to lower it in the rock but i think i already have it lower i just cant afford to do a water change in my rock tank right now to check it so i a m trying to lower it and use that same water again to check the ph level
Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry if this sounds rude at all, that's not intended. If you can't afford to change out water, you may want to slow down and save up for awhile. This hobby can get expensive even if you are frugal about it. SW should be around $1/G if you're buying it and not mixing it yourself. To your original post, you WANT to keep things alive. At least the bacteria.

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com