lowering ph in salt water without worrying about fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where is your pH now? Remember stability is better than trying to keep the "perfect" number.
It will also decline after lights out and rise after lights on....

well i dont want to do a water change cant afford to its just in a tub that i am soaking some rocks in but i used this water a while back to soak my rocks in but i had to take them back out because they made it jump up around 9.0 or higher off the scale but i want to use this saltwater to soak them again so i can check the ph i dont have anyway of checking it ouside in freshwater.

If this is in a cycling or liverock curing situation, don't worry at all about pH. It will swing like crazy. You need to watch ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Don't try to alter the pH.

well its a diy live rock station i am trying to make sure i have leached the rock good enough its been a month and a half i just cant check the ph of the rock if its in freshwater

You can with a different test kit. Still, I would not try to alter it if you're trying to cure the DIY. Just change out water.

Ok, I just reread it your question. You can lower it by covering the top or having less surface agitation. There may be something in your DIY mixture that is buffering it. I will have to let the "chemists" help you with that part...

Or changing water... If I'm not mistaken (And I definitely could be), the object is to cure the DIY rock and reach the point where it won't significantly affect your tank parameters. Right? Sorry. The OP is kinda hard to read / understand.

Yea i need to lower it in the rock but i think i already have it lower i just cant afford to do a water change in my rock tank right now to check it so i a m trying to lower it and use that same water again to check the ph level

Sorry if this sounds rude at all, that's not intended. If you can't afford to change out water, you may want to slow down and save up for awhile. This hobby can get expensive even if you are frugal about it. SW should be around $1/G if you're buying it and not mixing it yourself. To your original post, you WANT to keep things alive. At least the bacteria.

Okay Divedeep, you can lower the PH with some vinager. Just stir in some and test ph to see if it went lower. Then later check it again to see if it goes up.

DD, use your PWC water to replace or top off the water in you DIY rocks.

lol now why didnt i think of that lol!!!! i feel like a idiot thanks thincat i do still change my main tank water reguraly lol next water change is tomorow

Back
Top Bottom