Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lowering Phosphates

I am currently using tap water for my saltwater tank. I can not really afford a ro system right now. Is there any way to lower phosphates to make it better for corals? Maybe some type of chemical?

Old 04-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try looking for a phosban reactor... Do the math before buying any chemicals/products to remove PO4. It may be more cost effective to get a ro/di unit in the end. You will be adding tap water for water changes and top off and this will keep introducing more po4 and you will need to keep buying chems to remove po4 so its an endless cycle.
As you are finding out Tap water can cause problems in a tank. Water quality is the most important thing in this hobby. Save up some $$$ and check out ebay for some cheap ro/di units. Get a ro/di not just a ro unit.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with seaham. Using a PO4 sponge may help out in the short-term, but I strongly recommend a RO/DI purchase in the future. You can get them for about $100 on ebay.
Quote:
Water quality is the most important thing in this hobby.
Very ture. I keep water...my fish keep themselves
Old 04-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
Try looking for a phosban reactor
I just saw these this morning when I was making a drygoods order. Anyone have experience with them? looks like a nifty way to move water over carbon or rowophos.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have one and they are nice. I use phosban in mine and it removed what little PO4 i had in my 125. The one I bought came with phosban so I am running that right now. Very low water flow for phosban and rowaphos and if you run carbon you would want high flow.
Several guys in our Reef club run these and all have good things to say about them.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just took a 2nd look and yea 90GPH is pretty slow for carbon, but for 30 bucks i may have to pick one up. I figure one of these with some phos media can't hurt, maybe put my mind at ease regarding my paranoia from that silly TDS meter encounter I posted about yesterday. What do you drive yours with? How often do you change your media?

-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

seaham, what is the hookup for your phosban reactor? do you use a powerhead to feed water in? is there a valve to control the GPH?

steve r
Old 04-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just have a small ph feeding mine and they come with a ball valve to regulate the flow. I have two, one with carbon running a maxijet 12 on it and one with phosban media running a lot slower. I love them and for the price you cant beat them. I'm actually thinking of ordering another one just to have as a spare,
Old 04-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

they come with a valve and i got a maxi jet 400 and I still have to cut it back. you wnat to flow slow enough so none of the phosban is free floating. If PB gets into the tank it can harm the corals or fish.
they say the media lasts 3-4 months.. run a po4 check and if you see any its time to change it out. Also i would think if you have little po4 it may last longer.
Brisco i went to HD and picked up a whole house filter for 17 and took an old di resin and took out the resin and put in carbon... works great... this way you can run the gph as fast as you need.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Brisco i went to HD and picked up a whole house filter for 17 and took an old di resin and took out the resin and put in carbon... works great... this way you can run the gph as fast as you need.
Thats a really good idea. I don't feel as though my carbon is getting enough flow to be really effective. The bags just don't get enough flow through them. Im going to try that.

Tags
phosphates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com