LR after Hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I assume that after my hyposalinity treatment, the LR is dead. How does it become a live again once I raise my salinity? Besides bacterica, how do I get a chance to have other stuff in there like our other hobbyists?

They find worms etc there. My rocks look like rocks and algae, that's it. :(

yes, it all becomes live again over time. the hyposalinity has likely killed off a lot of things, but a fair amount should recover. one thing you can do is check your LFS and see if they offer LS from their LR tanks, etc. Tell them you're specifically looking for 1-2 pounds of sand with pods/worms etc to replenish your LS. Yes, much of the same critters live in both the LS and LR.

if your LFS doesn't offer anything there, you can check out garf.org and look for one of the LS rejuvinators.. i think thats what they call them.

of course, you could also just buy another 5-10 pounds of LR to add to the tank :)

As you know now doing hypo in the main is a bad idea. I would recommend buying a small amount of nice LR like from liverocks.com. I think you will get better life and a good variety of coralline.

garfs product is called "garf grunge" If Im understanding BillyZ's post correctly..

are you asking if the new LR can host ich? if the LR has not been housed with fish for a couple of weeks or longer there is no chance of ich.. it needs a fish host to survive...

greenmaji said:
.. it needs a fish host to survive...
But can remain encysted for upto 30 days, although extremely rare sometimeslonger. It only needs a wet surface. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

steve-s.. the life cycle of marine ich is longer then 2 weeks?
If you have a link Id like to do some reading on marine illnesses in general.. thanks.. :p
if the life cycle is a month or longer, I do appoligize for the misinformation..

Back
Top Bottom