LR & sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a couple of questions about some liverock....

I was lucky enough to come into some liverock but it has been sitting in a 5 gallon bucket of sw for almost a month without any water movement. What do I need to do to make it useable again?

Also, I have a 3 section sump that I will use some of that live rock in (I'll breakup some of the less desirable pieces to use as rubble). I'm somewhat limited as to where I can place this in the sump because of the size of the skimmer etc. I would have to put the rubble in the first section of the sump or I could put it in the last section with the pump. I would prefer to put it in the 1st section unless one of the guru's here suggest otherwise....please chime in. :)

Thanks!!

Do u have any liverocks that can use it to cured the 5gallon bucket "liverocks"?
add a powerhead in that bucket and wait till they r cured.
or if u r cycling your tank, just put them it.

believe it or not...I have couple rocks sitting in a 18gal bucket for 2months w/o water movement and I still find crabs and some life form on my rocks.

I would suggest put the rubbles in the first section, but if your return pump has a prefilter like mine, placing the rubbles in the return section is ok.

It's almost certainly dead as I assume in addition to the water movement there was no additional ammonia source or temperature control? It just needs to be 're-cured'. Saltwater, circulation, heat. You might want to rinse it and scrub it too just in case.

You could dose with some ammonia and test to see for sure

I prefer to keep my pump chamber clear. Less chance of my pump getting busted.

Thanks for the welcome back oh great skimmer guru Capt

I think I'll pop in a piece of lr from my tank and put everything in my garbage can with a powerhead and heater.....lights are optional right?? I'll test for ammonia but approximately how long should it take to re-cure it?

I'd guess not long (week maybe). Prob nothing there to burn off. You may need to add an ammonia source.

You may have me confused w/ ccCapt on the skimmer expertise

I`m getting ready to put mine in the second section but that isnt an option as I see it. I would keep the equipment section with nothing but equipment in it. No LR in it.

Ur right! I just re-read it.,.. My apologies...

Now I wonder what's in the second and why it can't go there.. That's where mine is

My skimmer is in the second section of the sump along with a heater and a small pump for the phosphate reactor.....it's stuffed full. I would have preferred to put the skimmer in the first section but it wouldn't fit. Next time I'm going to have a H - U - G - E sump.....I'll have to move the oldest kid out just to have enough room for it!

I have all my equipment in the last chamber. The pumps carry it back up from there.

Back
Top Bottom