LR arrangement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterchief117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
does anybody have any cool pics of their LR step. I am thinking about having two main groups of LR then building an arc between them. HAs anybody had much sucess with this setup? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Any different setup suggestions would be welcome also.

I have a somewhat random arrangement with several swim thru arches and overhangs. It will depend on the shape of your rocks but I'm with you on the arch thing. Try and arrange it so you have several "caves" or overhangs and swim thru's. My photo album has two shots of my tank that may give you an idea of my arrangement. You can't see all the hiding places because of the corals but you will get the idea.

Mark

This thread has a few pics of my tank or you could look in the photo gallery to get ideas. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=516

The main rule that I try to follow is to not stack the rock in such a manor that fits real tight. I place my rock so that there is room for water to flow in and around the rocks as best as possible. By doing this you also end up with little caves and pathways. I have lots of these pathways and such. My PBT has a cave to the left of center that it likes to go into to hide.

Be sure the rockwork is stable enough that hermits and such crawling all over the rock will not unstable it and cause it to shift.

To do what you want, at least the way I am envisioning it, you might consider building a pvc frame, and afixing the rock to the frame, with zip ties. Just a thought....

I would like to offer some of my considerations while reef building.

Clean 'windows' are very important to me. One thing I always do when building a reef is to keep the LR away from the front and ends of the glass. Also, not packing rock next to the ends makes another access for fish to swim into and access the back of the tank.

I lay all pieces of LR out on a shower curtain so I can actually pick and choose each piece as I build. I have some really large pieces which I use for base rock.

I have two genus of schooling or shoaling fish. Keeping a lot of swim/open area in the water column is important for these fish especially. And, I attempt to keep at lease a few inches of substrate accessible in the front.

I usually feed my fish in the same area each meal. I attempt to keep that area open water so fish are not bumping into each other then hitting rock while moving around.

I have always built a pillar to one side, the reef shelf in the rest of the tank. Having the pillar leaves a nice area for the fish to swim around. Several times I have bridged the pillar to the reef shelf.

Finally, it has been my practice to hide a powerhead behind my rock to keep things stirred up with less change of dead spots or stagnant areas.

I believe I have rebuilt my reef four times in my 75g tank, each time rebuilding because I decided to remove a particular fish(s). I've refined my reef each time to achieve the look I desire.

Building a reef is an artistic endeavor. Have fun.

§

Back
Top Bottom