LR.com shipment just received ! lots of life !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow.That's a nice looking tank.I think the fish is a Goby and should be fine in the tank if it was cycled before you put the rock in.Good Luck and have fun watching your rock mature.

XXFirefighter said:
cool rock, i loved mine.. so how much popping have you heard?

I hear the popping a lot. it can be as loud as when you snap your fingers.
Sometimes a bunch of snaps in a row, sometimes just one.

I never see who is causing it. I've hunted at night with a flashlight but no luck. found some crabs and other cool stuff.

I am hoping its a Pistol, I figure the pops are so loud if it where a Mantis I'd see him by now, None of my fish have been attacked.

I also wonder what the heck is this guy eating?

FYI, I've been hearing the clicking sound for 3 months now and haven't seen anything yet. If you hear a bunch of clicks in a row then it's probably a Mantis.

Not really sure what I want to do about it.

I dont want to dip the rock.

I also had a fish in the LR shipment, a shrimp Goby. So I am thinking maybe it's a Pitsol. wishful thinking

If it were a Mantis my guess is he is small. but could a small one make the popping as loud as it is?

I actually caught a small Mantis in the bag the LR was shipped in. My LFS has a Mantis and it's a big boy. It hangs out in plain view.
Wouldnt it have come out by now?

I also have a bunch of Crabs and they all seem to be around. Wouldnt a Mantis have started on his killing spree by now?

What could this guy be Eating for over a month now?

I hear popping once is a while, but I'm sure its pistol shrimp. I found 4 very small ones when I did a carboned sw dip. I added them.
Is the fish doing good ?

quarryshark said:
I hear popping once is a while, but I'm sure its pistol shrimp. I found 4 very small ones when I did a carboned sw dip. I added them.
Is the fish doing good ?

The Goby is doing great. I hardly see him. He lives in the LR.
When I feed my fish in the morning sometimes I'll catch him grabing
a quick bite. He is so fast he darts back into the LR.

Thats another reason why I think I have a Pistol and not a Mantis.
The Goby Lives in the LR. I've seen him in just about every rock.
Wouldnt a Mantis have had him for dinner already?

WOw you had 4 Pistols. thats alot. Cool.
Do they come out? or do they hide all the time?

Only have seen 2 of them at night. They are very small. I hope you don't have a mantis, from what I hear they will eat small fish.
Try a mantis trap, see what comes up. Here is a pick of my pistols before I put them in.
It would make sense that you have a pistol, I hpoe that is the case.

I had 2 mantis in the LRs I received from LR.com. One I got out in the bag and the 2nd showed up the other day (week½ latter) after I added some crabs to clean the algae growth. I was able to get this one out. My Gulf rock has a lot of caves and cracks in it so I would not be shocked if there was any more. I never heard clicking either.

from what I hear they are both territorial and preditory. Many people like them because they are really cool looking. but they will kill anyone they dont like.

I plan on disposing of my Mantis shrimp should I find any.

That mantis video is scary! its like watching a cockfight, or Alien vs. Predator. Now I am really scared for my own life!

Well i have had my tank up and rock in since maybe feb and STILL hear popping and still no sign of either a pistol OR Mantis... I caught a mantis 3 months ago and still the same amount of popping, I think it's the crabs...

Those Mantis clips were crazy!

If thats in your Tank your livestock are toast.
Amazing creature that Mantis is.

TygGer said:
If lr.com doesn't ship their liverock in water, how did the fish survive the shipment?

There is plenty of water in the plastic bag the LR is shipped in.
Take a look at the first page of this thread where I posted pics.
he was swimming with a Mantis :D

Back
Top Bottom